If you live in an apartment complex...

How often do they come into your home to check the furnaces or change filters? We've been here since january and they've came in at least 6 or 7 times, even when we aren't home. Tomorrow they're doing state inspections and I dont want them messing around in our apartment when I'm not there. Is this normal or out of the ordinary? They say right on the papers to lock up youe dogs because they will enter if you are there, or you aren't.

sunshineemommy

Asked by sunshineemommy at 11:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• As long as your apartment isn't in a run down area, I would praise it. A lot of complex's slack on taking care of the property these days.

Previous apartments I've lived in used to come spray every month, and do other routine maintenance every few months unless something was wrong or I made maintenance calls to get something fixed.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 11:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• once a year
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• theyve never done that and i lived here for a year and a half
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• They send out 24 hour notices before entering here, but it says in the lease that they have the right to enter at any time. They change the filters every 6 months, and will come in if I make a maintenance request. They spray outside every Wednesday.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• They should only be doing it once a month. That's the Michigan state law anyhow. It could be different for your state though and some apartment complexes do have different rules as long as it's within state law. However, they do have a right to enter the home without you being there. That is owned by the complex, so they aren't breaking any laws by entering the home when you're not there. Unfortunately. I never felt comfortable knowing they were entering my home without me there either.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Once a month is all that is required when changing air filters. Are you sure they aren't coming in just for inspection. I would also check your contract. Most contracts state that they may enter the apt anytime they wish to inspect/repair/etc.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:01 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• In Arkansas they have to give you notice of twenty-four hours before entering. They can enter even if you aren't there.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:09 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I always make sure to wear my expensive jewelry to work that day, and take my cash out. I just don't trust people in my house.
    sunshineemommy

Comment by sunshineemommy (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• There should be just one yearly inspection to check out the plumbing and make sure nothing needs fixing because not everybody reports the things that should get fixed. Then there are other reasons for inspections aside form the yearly...such as fire extinguisher or the heating system which is done by outside people who are licensed. However it is the law that they must give you at least 24 hours notice to enter your place. if they do not then they are breaking the law and you can raise a stink about it.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:10 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I've never heard of an apartment complex to come out and change your air filters. I change mine at least once a month. I try to vacuum off the filter once a week when I vacuum, especially in this weather. As far as them coming into your home, I'm funny about this myself, but since they own the property they do have the right to come in when they please. I try to be here when they come when I can.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:27 AM on Aug. 23, 2010