Why is my milk production less and less?

I pump my milk and feed it to my baby in a bottle. It seems like my milk is getting less and less. Why? And how can I increase it? (besides skin to skin)

JunebugsMomma8

Asked by JunebugsMomma8 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would keep trying to get the baby to latch on, and pump often. You can also try taking Fenugreek, which helps in milk production.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:00 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• If I may ask....why not skin to skin...and to answer, it is because the suck is not the same as the babies, a babies suck is made to extract milk from mommies breast, a machine can only TRY to replicate it.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:03 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• your baby will produce more than your pump will. you can also try mothers milk tea, its ingrediants are proven to increase milk production, you could also contact a lactation consultant.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:03 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• 1. because a pump can never be as efficint as baby
    2. between 3-6 monhs milk is no longer boosted by post-pregnancy hormone surge and begins to regulate to supply/demand stimulation
    3. It's harder to pup when you are no longer overproducing

Try to get baby to relatch and nurse as much as possible and view this: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:21 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Happens often with exclusively pumping. My second was unable to nurse, and I only managed to pump for 4 months. Then he had to go on formula. Probably the only way you can increase your production is if you can get your baby to latch. Although, herbs are definitely worth a try.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:39 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Its not true that you can not keep supply up with exclusively pumping. I exclusively pump and my supply is twice as much as my LO drinks. You can also check out the group here on Cafemom called Exclusively Pumping Mommies. There are many moms on there that produce a ton of milk. You can get a lot of tips on the posts there about boosting supply.

THe best advice is to pump more often. Frequency will tell your body to make more. After a week or two, you will see the increase. Also, pump for 5 minutes longer than after you "empty". This will "trick" your body into thinking your baby wants more.
    jet360

Answer by jet360 at 2:47 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It is very, very difficult to pump and bottle feed (human milk feeding, hmf). The process of making milk is controlled by hormones. The pump does not suckle the same as a baby. The experience is not the same as nursing. Because of this and other factors the hormone sent to your brain telling it how much milk to make is diminished. You also need to pump 8-12 times evey 24 hours, probably closer to 12. That means getting up at night every 2 hours. If it takes you 30 min to pump you are getting seriously sleep deprived.

You might try a rental pump. They are the best. No teas, herbs, oatmeal, ect has been proven to increase milk supply. You could try breastfeeding. Sometimes babies that had problems in the beginning can breastfeed when they are older.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:18 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Cows are great at making milk. We know a lot about cows and milk production, more than we know about humans and milk production. There are many factors that can influence milk production. There is a commercial about "happy cows". It's true, happy cows make more milk. If there is music cows make more milk. They now have self milking stations that can be set up in fields and cows walk up to them and get milked when they feel like it. My point is we know many things affect milk production in cows and we can easily measure it. In humans we aren't measuring it but we believe that there are multiple things that affect milk production.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:24 AM on Aug. 23, 2010