Can you admit to your children that you can be wrong and that you are not perfect as they think you are?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:15 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• The best thing my mom ever did for me was to let me know she wasn't perfect. She did the very best she could. When I grew up, I knew that the very best I could do would be enough. It still takes the pressure off.
    Saralinda

Answer by Saralinda at 12:24 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Yep. I have many times. When I was growing up my parents were always right. No matter what, even if they were wrong. I hated it, I thought it was really crappy, so I freely admit when I am wrong and try to do better next time.

I want them to be that kind of adults too, so I have to model it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:18 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I haven't had to yet, but I think you should, and I will.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:16 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I do it daily :) We are all imperfect and I tell my kids, when they get mad at one another, frustrated with a friend or relative not following through on their word, when i make a mistake...
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:20 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I do often. When I get onto her for doing or not doing something and I was wrong (she DID clean her room, she did NOT yell at the dog, ect...) I will appologize and tell her I was wrong. I think by admitting to my own faults it teaches her it's okay to admit to her own. She will also admit when she's wrong about something and talk about what she should to do fix it. Very proud of my grown up 5 year old :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I always tell my boys, mommy isnt perfect, mommy gets tired too, mommy gets cranky, mommy needs mommy time and so forth!
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 12:36 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• what a great question mom!!!! wish I could make it "most popular" lol like in journals.I admit when I am wrong, and say i am sorry. and I dont do it vaguely...I literally say"geesh i was wrong on this, sorry buddy...(add xyz info here)" and try to let him see that even mom is human. I never want my sons to think saying your sorry, saying you are wrong, is a bad thing.
    this is a great question! bumping it. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:43 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• That depends. When they were little, I might have apologized, but I would never admit I was not a perfect parent. That didn't happen until they had children of their own! LOL! Then they discover that on their own.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:23 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I dont think I have actually used the words "not perfect" but when I am wrong I admit it and apologize. Its a great learning opportunity for them to see how one takes responsiblity for their mistakes.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:40 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I don't think i have ever said that, but I have appoligized for being wrong. I have said, " I'm sorry, I made a mistake." Most young children do not understand the their parents are not perfect. Older kids can handle the truth.
    xpandyourmind

Answer by xpandyourmind at 12:55 AM on Aug. 23, 2010