Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What resources are available in Texas for a young adult with mental disorder?

My son has been diagnosed with Aspergers, coupled with Schitzoprenia and paranoia. We are no longer able to house him with us. I need to know what resources are available for us or where we can turn to get him some support.

Answer Question

Asked by yayaforcj at 8:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • first off i live in Ky so i can tanswer for TX specifically but i do work in mental health so i have some insight for you. if he is willing you can contatc your local community mental health center and they can probably set him up with counseling, medication, even connect you to community support, housing, jobs, whatever is appropriate for your son. cont...

    Answer by mrs_gilhole at 9:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

  • if he is not willing... you may want to look into guardianship. this would be done if you feel his condition is keeping him from caring for his own welfare long term and if awarded would give you all the rights to decide what services he received and where he lived, etc. it also disallows a person from signing over his money for credit cards and people who may take advantage of their diminished capacity of course i dont know if this applies to your son. in ky, the circuit court clerks offfice starts this process. like i said i am from KY but if i can be of any further help, let me know. good luck

    Answer by mrs_gilhole at 9:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

  • When I lived in Wisconsin I worked for an organization called REM we provided residential support for people with developmental disabilities, traumatic brain injury, and Autism, Ausbergers, etc.. I worked as a Case Manager as well as a Program Coordinator. I know that is in all over the country but not sure about Texas. Also Look into or contact GoodWill they mostly do job coaching and Vocational supports but may be familiar with residential support services in your area. Good Luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

  • My sister was diagnosed with the same..Schitzoprenia and paranoia. I live in Texas also. (Collin County) I contacted my Mental Health Department. They had a lot of information and were extremely helpful. I don't know if it's the same in all counties but the one in Collin County is located in the Court House.

    Answer by happy2bme7 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.