What do you do if your child school is asking for 30 school supplies do u send them all or just a few at a time?

Because I already bought him all 30 and hes only starting kinder but I hear from to many people that the teachers want so many to give to the poor students that can't afford and that they keep them too, so I don't know whether to send all 30 or not, for example there asking for 3 (8) oz glues why so many for a 5 yr old? Also 3 box of colors not just one, two boxes of kleenex, ziploc bags a small package and a large one gallon one. Even small and large paper plates, two packages of pencils and even dry markers that smell so strong what 5 yr old will use those??? also highlighters etc!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in

• there are a few things, like the dry erase markers, that the teacher will be using. I would buy things like the glue and crayons one at a time.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:30 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Stuff like crayons and glue, I get it all and send in. I think they all share anyway so it doesn't really matter. Other stuff, I only got about half and plan to ask in a couple weeks what they need. She just started kindergarten a couple weeks ago.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:31 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Yes I always buy everything. Also this year I bought extra of a lot of stuff in case there were children who didn't have. Why bc I hate to see children go without it just breaks my heart. Do what you feel is right.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• if it were me,i would anonymously contact the school. call from a friends cell or something, talk tot he princepal about the "excess". The thing is, there are so so many kids whose parents do not send anything at all, for various reasons. But is it that 5 yr olds fault? of course not...but also if you call as yourself, your kinder may face judgement...and he is 5 qand just doing as he is told...bringing a paper to mommy.
    good luck, its a sad state for everyone right now. if you have it to give, give it in abundance. if you dont...do the best ya can mom. thats what we are all doing...
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:38 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I don't know about your school but Kinder kids do a lot of coloring and gluing. Plus they seem to be sick all the time and there is never enough kleenex. So I can understand about those materials. Send what you can afford, the teacher will understand.
    xpandyourmind

Answer by xpandyourmind at 12:42 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My daughter is starting kindergarten as well. I am sending all her supplies with her and hope to buy extras to take into the class as well. Just because I can get my child school supplies, does not mean that every parent can be so lucky at this time. I mean I know my child is my responsibility, but if I ever found myself in the position that I could not get her what she needed- then I sure would be appreciative if a fellow parent was able to help out, for my child's sake. Do what you feel is right for you.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 12:42 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I send them all on open house night which is a week before school opens, all the parents bring the stuff in then. The extra supplies are for student use in the classroom, yes your child will go through 3-5 glue sticks in a school year. As far as extra for kids who cant afford them, most schools recieve donated backpacks full of supplies from places like walmart and other organizations and that is what is given to the children who need them, its not the extra supplies your sending thats given. Remember school are working with smaller budgets and can not afford to pay for all the supplies so the parents are shouldering a small cost of it. I would rather buy the extra glue and crayons and let the teachers spend the money they do have on the other things needed. I used to work for the purchasing dept. for the schools in 6 counties so I know what teachers acutally buy and they do need what they ask for from you.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:57 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My daughter's district does not require anything. She is in a district that takes pride in their credit rating and budget.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:58 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My list wasn't that extensive, but with money extremely tight in my household I'm sending my son with what fits in his supply box and keeping the extra here at home for him when he needs them. I will drop off the wipes, kleenex, ziploc and camera at orientation. My district prides itself in corruption and the misuse of tax dollars...half the board last year became convicted felons...so I have even bigger issues than the fact that we have very little money of our own. I also have two high school students who's fees alone make me want to throw up...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:05 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I send everything that's requested on the first day. I buy extras of crayons, pencils/pens and paper and give those to the kids as they need them throughout the year. I figure the teachers have enough to worry about, they are asking for a reason.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:00 AM on Aug. 23, 2010