Is it chicken pox, or something else?

My son has developed a rash that I'm almost postive is chicken pox. He is not vaccinated because of ear infections at the time. but I am unsure if it's not a rash caused an allergic reaction. So here are the symptoms. From onset
Runny nose, that suddenly became andcontinues to crust over very quickly, and appeared to be and still is very itchy. And red
Rash: started off on face and at first looked like scratches, then more came (acne like) and by night more above mouth and eye brows some were fused together.
As of now the rash has spread , but mostly on his face. And Inoticed today that there were a couple blister crusts, along with new bright red bumps- which to my knowledge is chicken pox.
Rash seems to get worse at night, as does the itchy nose

He has a reg checkup on the 26th , I could have this issue looked at then. Just curious as to what the issue may be aside from what REALLY looks like chicken pox.

mcmama25

Asked by mcmama25 at 12:30 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Health

• Google impetigo and see if that's what it looks like. When you said crust, that was the first thing I thought of. Chicken pox would be all over his body - espeically bad in the warm places - around the waist ban, arpits, on his back if he has been sleeping, etc...
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:33 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Thanks :) I checked out google and the rash doesn't look any thing like impentago I have noticed more light red bumps show up on his body some pimple like, but others seem more flat, if that makes sense. Then just a minute ago I changed his diaper and there are about 6 red dots on his little tush. But for the most part the rash is more noticable on his face. And he occasionally wakes up just to rub his face looks like it's irratated , but he goes back to sleep right away.
    mcmama25

Comment by mcmama25 (original poster) at 12:53 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• DS had a rash that I was certain was chicken pox. MIL took a look too and she thought maybe. It sounded very similar except it was more on his tummy and upper legs. I took him in and his doc said they were too hard to be CP and that it was a reaction to a different virus. It ended up spreading quickly and I had him in again a couple of days later. Doc ordered blood work and it turns out he is allergic to milk. I had no idea!! Is there any way you can reschedule his regular checkup to an earlier date and then have this issue looked at? I understand how you would not want to have 2 separate doc visits (especially cuz the well-child is usually 100% covered by ins!), but I'd definitely get him checked out if a tall possible. In the mean time give him Benedryl if the itching gets too bad. I don't know if that would mess up any possible blood tests, but if he is miserable I'd definitely give it to him to make him comfortable.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:16 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• if the rash is bothering him or comes with a fever, then maybe you could move his appointment up?
    did you compare it to pictures of chicken pox on the internet?
    anyhow...good luck to you both mama!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:20 PM on Aug. 23, 2010