Do you think this is right???

Whenever I talk about my son and his education my SO's reaction is not what I would expect from a parent. My son has repeated 9th grade twice. I'm so afraid he's going to drop out. Anyway, my SO says that, "He's just like me, I didn't finish school because I didn't like sitting in class." He says that to anyone even out in public and it makes me so mad because I don't think it worth bragging about. I also think that he's putting a negative impression on our son. And he wonders why he can't get a job!!

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:41 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in

• I think you should be kicking your SO in the ass!
    My husband dropped out of high school twice, once two weeks before graduation. It is his biggest regret in life. He went 3 months later and got his GED. He has since gone to college and has only 4 classes from graduation.
    If your son won't go to school, help him get his GED. I know two people that could not go to class, they HATED it. They both got their GED at 15-16 and started college right after. Both got their bachelors degrees at 20. College was easier for them, they were no longer micromanaged by the school and could do things more at their own pace.
    Good luck, tell your SO, to pull his head out and help your kid work towards a goal.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:55 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I tend to agree with you stressing how important school is in terms of being able to get a decent job is pretty important. If he thinks sitting in a class is boring what is he going to think of not being able to support himself because he can't get a job? Not being able to hang with friends because what they want to do costs money he doesn't have? You would think your SO would see that not having a HS education makes life harder than it has to be.
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 12:46 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• You son is probably failing because his father allows him to believe that it's okay. Your husband thinks it's fine because that's how he was. Your son thinks he has his fathers approval on how lax he is.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:57 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• No it's not right. SO has a terrible attitude. There is no reason to not at least finish HS. The excuse "I didn't like sitting in class" is total BS. Most people don't like sitting all day like that, but too bad! SO needs a kick in the balls.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:31 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It may have worked for SO when HE was in school, but your son will have a much harder time in life if he doesn't get that diploma. Employers are demanding more and more from the people they hire and a person without a diploma is just about guaranteed a hard life without a good job (in the majority of cases). Tell SO to shut up unless he's going to support you. You want what's best for your son and it's obvious that he doesn't.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:47 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i would have to say that he's obviously got no priorities. and why would he be proud he couldn't sit through school as an almost-adult? i couldn't be with someone like that, seriously.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Have you tried getting your son a private tutor?
    xpandyourmind

Answer by xpandyourmind at 12:44 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Its sounds like he's a very poor example. Why is your son failing?
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:46 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Have you tried telling you SO something like - Don't you want Son to have an easier time in life than you had? Education is the key to making a better life for oneself. That is a fact.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 11:47 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Yes, SO chould be sharing this with you maybe, but not everyone. And the child starts to feel that it is OK to not succeed in school. Your SO should be teaching the child that getting through school is his "job" right now and the only way to eventually have a good job and be independent down the road.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:43 AM on Aug. 23, 2010