What is your experience with keeping a belly button ring in during pregnancy?

I got my belly button pierced about three months or so before I got pregnant (the pregnancy was not planned), so it didn't actually heal completely. I'm trying one of those maternity bars, but the top of my belly button piercing is red and swollen, even though I clean it with saline and soap, and I use emu oil (recommended by the guy who pierced my belly button for healing.) I don't want to take it out because I LOVE my piercing, and I've heard stories about women who have successfully kept theirs! What did you do? Any advice or tips?

StephenieBryant

Asked by StephenieBryant at 12:54 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• i had every intention of keeping mine in all the way but i'm a very skinny woman and my belly button became completely flat and non existent. i had to take it out like 2 weeks before i delivered cause my skin was so stretched that i would have needed it re-pierced anyway. once the scar tissue is a bit softer i'm gonna re-pierce it
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:02 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I just had to take mine out and I am 30 weeks. I took it out with my other pregnancies too and then put it back in afterward. I had mine for several years before I got pregnant though. They do make maternity belly button rings though.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:57 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I loved mine but I took it out around 4 months:(
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:07 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i think the only women who have real success keeping their belly rings are bigger women because their skin doesn't tighten up as much as a smaller woman so they still have a bit of skin to keep the belly ring
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• http://cgi.ebay.com/Perfect-Pregnancy-Pregnant-Belly-Button-Ring-/290435331202?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=

They make longer, flexable rings for pregnancy- you can keep it in the whole 9 months =)
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 1:52 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Personally, I didn't. I did for about half of it, until it stretched and stretched... and now my belly button looks deformed.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 2:02 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My friend had one and was pregnant with twins, she tried the maternity bar, was only able to keep it in until her 6th month or so. She still ended up with a weird looking belly button, she can't wear hers at all anymore. She said if she had it to do over again she would have removed it immediately, and just re-pierced after the babies were born.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:58 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I loved mine but I had to take it out at about 7 months. The hole did not close though, so I didn't have any issues
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I was able to keep mine-i didnt get very big though-delivered at 142lbs-only gained about 12lbs....
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I had to take mine out. You might want to take it out cuz it sounds like its infected. If the hole doeswnt close you can always put it back in
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2010