Mom thinks this is incredibly tacky...what about you?

A friend of mine just had a new baby at the end of June...her second, less than 1 1/2 years after her first. She didn't have a baby shower or anything for her second, but she is throwing a "meet the new baby" cookout. The invitations reads...
"Please come celebrate the birth of our newest addition, and enjoy good food and good company. Also if able, please bring a pack of diapers, size 1 or bigger, to enjoy the food that we are providing."

The diaper part is what my mom can't get over.

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 12:59 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you're mom's right, it's tacky. Having a "meet the baby" BBQ is a great idea, most people are going to bring a gift for the baby anyway (at least I would.) Requesting diapers as payment for food is just not appropriate.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:56 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I have mixed feelings about it.

I think that Yes, it is tacky because you shouldn't ask people for things and it kind of sounds like that is the intention.

However, it doesn't sound like they cannot afford the daipers themselves. They could use the money they are spending on food to buy the diapers. The invite does say if you are able. It sounds like that they are wanting everyone to meet their new pride and joy. It really isn't a lot different than a pot luck asking someone to bring a dish of food.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 1:02 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We call those diaper showers
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:06 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Yes that is incredibly tacky. She could have left the food part out and it would have been fine. For example: Little (baby's name) already has everything she could need and gifts are not necessary. If you wish to bring a gift anyway, diapers would be appreciated!
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:11 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• At least she said 'if you are able' instead of just expecting everyone to bring some.
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 1:00 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Yes, lol, the last part is tacky. People would likely bring something anyways, she didn't need to put all that. If she really wanted to say something, she could have said, "gifts accepted, but not expected". And to make it sound like you have to bring diapers or you can't eat, lol...is tacky.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:01 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• haha I would never ask people for diapers but it wouldn't bother me.. And since she didn't have a baby shower.. I don't know!!!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 1:01 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It's tacky to request anything in an invitation. I understand the Meet the Baby bbq (I had one planned for my youngest before he was born premature and it had to be cancelled).
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:02 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• That is terribly tacky! I would never!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:04 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• The new baby already has everything it needs. Crib, chair, clothes... What it needs is dippers. If you don't want to help your friend with her new baby and what it needs, then simply give her a gift card to a store that sells dipers.
    xpandyourmind

Answer by xpandyourmind at 1:02 AM on Aug. 23, 2010