No Hair-dying while Pregnant myth or not? adult content

I'm pretty sure I'm pregnant (depo shot is f***** with my able to get a proper test) can I still color my hair will it create an alien looking baby in the end. An old lady in the store told me it would make my baby deformed is this true/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• my aunt-in-law is a professional hair dresser and as long as you aren't eating the hair dye you and baby will be just fine. She was going to give me highlights last week and I'm pregnant, 35 weeks. It's just fine. The only thing is you might want to sit outside or have the window open because the smell is so strong and that is probably what could do the most damage if anything. The dye does not affect the baby by seeping into your scalp...if it did then you would be brain damaged too, not just your baby. So go for it. If you get it done by a stylist just make sure you mention that you are pregnant, sometimes they will suggest a more natural dye just because then it wont smell as bad (personally the smell makes me lightheaded and sick when im not pregnant so im sure it's amplified when you are). :) Have fun with dying your hair!
    sake1521

Answer by sake1521 at 1:22 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• ive read that you can dye your hair with certain hair dyes... but either way i WOULD NOT advise doing it
    momaholly

Answer by momaholly at 1:08 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• The chemicals in hair dye will seep into your system affecting the baby
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:08 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• No you can't color your hair....the chemicals are toxic to your baby, just like drinking or smoking. doesn't mean you will have a deformed baby but it is toxic
    armywife81803

Answer by armywife81803 at 1:09 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• The old lady is stupid, you can in fact color your hair...there is no proven studies showing that it has harmed the unborn baby, just make sure for your own sake that you do it in a well ventilated room :) I also seen on the show Doctors that it is a myth that you cannot color your hair while pregnant.
    ProudMommyOH3

Answer by ProudMommyOH3 at 1:10 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It is fine. You won't end up with some deformed looking alien child as long as you don't use straight out bleach (you know hot Topic style).. I've dyed my hair almost every pregnancy (I go grey for some reason) and never have had any issues.
    MomtoMichael2

Answer by MomtoMichael2 at 1:13 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I colored my hair and my kids are fine
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:08 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I personally avoid all unnecessary chemicals during pregnancy. My midwife also recommends not having your hair dyed unless it is highlights pulled through a cap (if you must).
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:09 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I don't know for sure but henna ink might be okay
    HopefulMom2B08

Answer by HopefulMom2B08 at 1:10 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My doc said I could highlight my hair but I decided not to with both of my pregnancies.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:11 AM on Aug. 23, 2010