What to do when your child throws a fit in publc? He will scream and swing his arms all around. When I put him on time-out he will not sit and screams very loudly.

My son is 2 1/2 and very strong willed.

JenHostler

Asked by JenHostler at 9:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Now is the time to gain control... He needs a simple swat on the butt or diaper to let him no this is inappropriate...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 9:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I haven't had that happen - yet!
    I would either enforce the time-out, right there in the middle of the grocery store or I would go home. I do have an old baby blanket in my bag just like the one I use as a time out spot at home. What I did would depend on the store, my patience level at the time, how bad the tantrum was, how close to bedtime/naptime, many factors. Basically - what are the odds that she'll calm down in 10 minutes or less. If I left then I would probably enforce the time out in the car - strap her in, roll down a window or two if it's hot, and stand next to the car while she screams. She would need to know and understand that something different if happening than her desire to go home right now.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• oh that's a tough one..lol.. I have a 20 month old that sometimes like to throw fits in public.. Normally if I tell her "be good for mommy and I will get her a candy bar" or something else and it normally works.. of course you have to reward them with what you tell them.. but shes only 20 months and it seems to work for me.
    atjm0919

Answer by atjm0919 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• i just pop my daughter on her butt. as a little reminder that i call the shots and not her. i want leave cause then she's "won"
    marinewife52704

Answer by marinewife52704 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• In public or private I will stop and ask him (almost 3yr old) if he is done. He sometimes says no and I say oh ok then when you get done let me know. I then ignore him. I keep on shopping (sure I get glares and sometimes rude comments) I don't give him what he wants, when he wants it. I offer other things instead if he wants candy/cookie I say no, what about a banana or apple. I have learned to distract him from what he is having the tantrum for. At home he gets a time out in a chair, and I turn off everything tv, radio and take all toys away. I then sit in the same room and do something that allows me to watch him out of the corner of my eye. He hates sitting still but he hates being ignored. I have learned that it is ok to let children cry at times, just knowing when to comfort and when to give in is the part that is hard to do.
    Midnightduck515

Answer by Midnightduck515 at 12:58 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• At home we do paddle him but I am afraid to do it in public because you hear about so many people who get in trouble for it. We have no problems at home with him throwing fits but just when we go out and do not paddle. My husband has been taking him to the car and strapping him in his car seat and I continue shopping but the behavior just continues.
    JenHostler

Answer by JenHostler at 3:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2008