13 & 16 year old lazy about tooth brushing... how do I fix this?

We have a fortune invested in these kid's mouths. Braces, retainers, the works! and they are not nearly as good as I would like them to be about taking care of thier teeth. They act like brushing is something optional you do if ya have a couple extra minutes in the morning! Making me crazy. It's the source of so many knock down drag outs around here. What kind of punishment can we dole out, or what can we do to get them to be better about this. I am so tired of fighting about this. Help!

veggiemom726

Asked by veggiemom726 at 1:24 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• you can't punish kids for not brushing their teeth. you can however casually show them pictures of what happens when you don't brush your teeth and make comments about the bad breath and how no one's gonna want to kiss that
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:27 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i was kind of like that because i couldn't brush my teeth without gaging. i would make sure it is nothing like that... and then my mother threatened me - said all my teeth would fall out if i didnt take care of them. if u have your teeth removed it hurts like nothing else... fear worked for me :|
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:32 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We have tried that. They've seen what bad teeth look like, and I've tried to tell them that bad breath is not positive influence on their social lives. It's just so frustrating. I wish they had more respect for all the money we have put into their teeth, and just take care of them. Why don't some kids "get" this, and others are fanatic about it?
    veggiemom726

Comment by veggiemom726 (original poster) at 1:34 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My mother orders this stuff online [I still have siblings at home, lol] called disclosing solution. It basically dyes the plaque on their teeth so they can see how disgusting their mouths are. My mom makes them brush until it's all gone.
    She also had us brush WITHOUT toothpaste first for awhile, we had to go to her for it.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 1:55 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My mom was a dental hygienist before she had me... that's how she knew about it.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 1:56 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• btw, you only need like one or two drops and then you have them move it around their mouths with their tongue. works like MAGIC!
    ourbabykins

• At this age thay should be into their looks more and wanting their teeth to look good. I would withhold privileges from them, just like if they were three again. They each have a "currency" which is the things that are most important to them. Withhold these things, and reward them , on a daily basis, until they are brushing as YOU want them to. Oversee the brushing like they were two years old. Put up a chart if you need to. You need to be diligent about this and it might be tough for awhile. Talk to them calmly and explain how it is going to be.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:23 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• take em to the dentist and have the Dr show em pictures of real mouths of people who got tooth decay.... that should scare em into brushing.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:35 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i'm in the same boat as you are.. my son doesn't brush his teeth either. i have took him to the dentist and the dentist has told him that he HAS to keep his teeth clean or he will lose them but it didn't get through that hard head of his though :/ i'm tired of fighting with him and taking things away from him cause he don't brush his teeth or anything... ugh!! i fed up to my eyeballs!!! so when you find something that works plz send it along this way :)
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 12:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I really have no advice for you. My DD is only 2 years old and is just now getting interested in teeth brushing, so I'm no help. But as for someone who has had a root canal, two abscessed teeth, a pulp cap, two extractions and about ten fillings... I sure wish they would open their eyes and realize that they need to take better care of their teeth. My parents didn't push me to take care of my teeth when I was younger and as I got older, I paid for it too. I got my first extraction when I was about 16 years old. I am 21 years old and just got my teeth in good shape and I plan on keeping it that way.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2010