watermellons this season?

I am in northern Illinois and has anyone else noticed this season's watermellons have no taste!? its annoying! I keep thinking ok , the later in the season it gets the better it will be...but nope. just sliced into a seedless, and tastes like water.

Bearsjen

Asked by Bearsjen at 1:29 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I've only had one melon this year that had any flavor, you're right - it's annoying!! I wish there was a way to tell from the outside how much flavor it's going to have.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:53 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• There hasn't been much rain this season/year. That's probably why.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 1:48 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• babykins n my area we had plenty of rain actually, but i didnt know there was a connection. maybe thats it, either way blah
    Bearsjen

Comment by Bearsjen (original poster) at 9:44 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I haven't bought but 1 or 2 and they were fine. Are you buying locally grown, grocery store...? I've noticed every year that store-bought melons are pretty blah, but a locally grown melon picked at the right time is fantabulous - I've never had a bad local melon!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:11 AM on Aug. 23, 2010