how can you tell

How can you tell if a dog has 50 % or more pit bull in them?
when my neighbor got this puppy they was told it was a lab chow terrier mix i think it looks like a lab but there are people says that its a pit not a mix or if it is mixed has 70 % pit in it

Mommy2Be1212009

Asked by Mommy2Be1212009 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Pets

• You might be able to take it to a vet and have blood work done on it.
    atjm0919

Answer by atjm0919 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• May I ask what difference it makes? Are you guys afraid of the dog if it has more pit in it than they were told?

I'm not sure HOW to tell other than a blood test, but I can tell you that there's no reason to fear these dogs (unless your neighbors are fighting dogs or severly mistreating them).
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• They would generally look pretty boxy. There heads are pretty thick and boxy and they generally are fairly boxy in the shoulds. Also very muscular looking.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

Not necessarily though... my dog is a northern staffordshire terrie, aka pit bull, and she's got a slender head.  I don't even know if they have a test to determine the percentages of mixed breeds.  I would think the only real way you would know a percent is to look back at the lineage of the sire and dam and do the math.  Why do you ask?

Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 9:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Why does it matter? I think a blood test would be able to tell, but other than that, there's no really true way of telling.  Pits aren't mean.  It's the owners who make them that way.  As long as your neighbors aren't training it to fight or anything, then you have nothing to worry about.

SilverFire85

Answer by SilverFire85 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• cause pits are illegal to own in the town im in and they really love this dog and if they have to get rid of it cause of hte pit being more the lil girl is going to be hurt.... sucks that ppl had to make this town put that law into effect

Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• well..just put down on paper that its a lab chow terrier mix and leave it at that... i was told by a vet to say that. did you know that there are 25 other breeds of dog that look identical to a pit?
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• There is only one way, blood test, the test is Wisdom Panelâ„¢ MX Mixed Breed Analysis(look it up on the net). it costs $150-$200 and it cant tell you definitly what it is but it will tell you the most dominant breed. i thought about getting it done when i got my pup, we thought she was a Boxer mix, but now think she might be an american bulldog. they are pretty similar as puppies, so we have to wait and see til she gets older.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:39 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My first question would be do you have a picture? Second, did the owners of the mix know what the parents were?
    If you show me a picture I can give you a good guess as to if it's got Pit in it or not. Otherwise your friend can get the vet to do a DNA profile. It takes a few weeks, but you get accurate results about what your dogs mix is. :)
    Looking2Adopt1

Answer by Looking2Adopt1 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• looking2adopt1..you can't just look at a pic of a dog and tell that its pit. as i said before, there are 25 other breeds that are NOT pit and look like them. stick with the blood test.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:53 AM on Oct. 12, 2008