Why can't the schools provide the school supplies from the school taxes they charge us every year?

Ive been paying school taxes for 10 years now and my son is barely starting kinder this year, but they do ask for tons of supplies and I wonder to myself cant the schools afford it from all the school taxes? or is that what they use to pay the teachers???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in

• Our school can't even afford math books! They get print outs every night for homework!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:48 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• A lot of teachers do have to pick up the slack and pay for a good chunk of supplies. When their pay is cut, your supply list is higher. My husbands Mom is a school teacher and things are really tough right now. PE classes and music classes are on the decline, books are being forced out with paper hand outs in, no more fun stickers or prizes on Fridays for being good, field trips cut out for the majority, etc. It's really sad.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:53 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I am guessing since your child is just starting you havent been in the know with your school district on the budget cuts. your taxes are only a small protion of what goes to the school. My tax bill shows that only $200 of my $2400 property tax goes to the schools, and we have 8 schools in our district in a town of 16,000 people, that is not alot of money to spread around. the state and federal money has been cut. some states have cut so much that schools like ours were forced to close early last year of fire 15 teachers this year. Your school website can clue you in to what is happening in your own district or you can call and ask for the budget forcast they send out. Schools are barely making it. My kids lost 15 days of school last year and all special outings/event/field trips were cancelled.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:56 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Usually it is because the budget is very limited. If the school paid for all of the supplies they would have to cut even more funding for things like buildings, books and teaching materials. Yes teacher's salaries are also paid for with tax money.
    Awifenmom

Answer by Awifenmom at 1:56 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I have several friends who are teachers and they have taken paycuts and not small paycuts either as well as put out their own money for supplies. The teachers are doing everything they can except chop off a limb to get children the education they need. Our parent club is amazing, we raise alot of money to fill the gaps. Last year the middle school sturdents raised over $40,000 on their own.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:59 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I'm certain that if the president would stop taking so many vacations the federal fund would be higher.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:36 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• When I was a kid the school supplies WERE provided. NOW we spend our taxes so kids in other countires can go to school; on wars; on every country except our own. Thank you...I will get down from my soap box now.
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 2:50 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I agree that school supplies in public schools should supply the kids with pencils, paper, books, crayons,etc.

When I was growing up, that is the way it was until i got to middle school.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:04 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I pay for my own kid and do not mind paying taxes to help any school
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:35 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• maybe you lack a grasp of what all expenses go in to the school program. but if you cannot afford your kids school suplies you have serious issues with priorotizing
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:45 AM on Aug. 23, 2010