Body fat percentage?

Any really fit moms on here want to share their tips for losing body fat percentage? I am currently about 30% fat! I would like to be around 20%. I would also like to lose 15 more pounds, but honestly, I just lost 20lbs, and I only lost 2% or so of body fat percentage, so I'd really like help shredding the inches. I currently do cardio for 30 min (intervals) about three times a week, and I do strength every once in a while, but I'm willing to do more.
My diet consists of mainly cereal for breakfast (I eat Life, or something of that type of cereal with 2% milk), for lunch, I usually have a PB and J with cottage cheese or a yogurt. For dinner, I usually either have a chicken breast (skinless) or fish (tilapia) and then veggies and rice. Once a week we have spaghetti and then other nights we have fajitas or chili.

I have no problem limiting my portions and losing weight, but I don't seem to be getting much thinner....

Mom2unangel

Asked by Mom2unangel at 4:22 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• ....I've also done all this for myself....I've lost over 100 pounds....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 5:18 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i'm a fitness trainer. first off cottage cheese is horrible for you. there is 9x more sodium in a container of cottage cheese than in a bag of potato chips. peanut butter is good for you only if it's all natural and jelly contains a lot of sugar and you should always eat whole wheat bread because white bread has had any nutrients bleached out of it. fruits and veggies are a must, i also suggest adding eggs to your breakfast. remember if you don't eat enough you will not lose weight because you will have a small metabolism. i suggest keeping the three meals and adding 3 snacks in between consisting of fruits or veggies, like a fruit salad or regular salad. remember not to cut dairy out either because you need calcium and vitamin d. and carbs are your friend when you want to lose weight because they give you energy. as for working out the best for losing body fat is cardio. you can strength train to tone but cardio for the fat
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:46 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I'm going through for a fitness trainer...and agree mostly with aliishott2 above....but i do want to comment that while carbs are your friends, it has to be the right kind of carbs....pastas are not the right kind of carbs.....fruits and veggies are where you find your carbs...or whole grains, like oatmeal (not the instant stuff with all kinds of sugar...the plain oatmeal that you cook and can add banana slices or mango chunks, etc....)
    The other thing I want to comment on is to avoid cereals....tonnes of sugar and sodium in them ! Life cereal in particular is full of sugar ! The ONLY cereal I would recommend is one called Alpen....I buy it at wal-mart, but haven't seen it in my regular grocery store...it's been around for years...I used to eat it when I was a kid....Recently just found it again !

and yes, you guessed it, please please please increase weight training....right now, you are losing muscle weight because...
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 5:12 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• ....you're not consistently building it. Weight training actually burns more calories than cardio....not during the activity, but afterward...with weight training you burn calories for 24 hours.....with cardio, you stop burning calories the minute you stop exercising....and don't be afraid to lift heavy....you won't bulk up...lifting 5 pound dumbbells is not going to cut it....it doesn't help you progress in your fitness...it's not functional even...you lift more than 5 pounds when you are carrying grocery bags !

and yes, the snack thing as aliishott2 mentioned....excellent idea....snacks keep your energy consistent all day so that your body never enters starvation mode...when your body starts to feel hungry, it slows the metabolism to store whatever energy is left for later...then once you eat, that which was stored remains stored, as fat....but if you eat 6 small meals a day, your energy remains consistent
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 5:17 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Replying so I can come back to this later.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:24 AM on Aug. 23, 2010