Why do some "experts" not like the run around naked form of potty training?

I've been looking into the different methods and approaches. Lots of moms seem to find that letting the toddler run around with no diaper or underpants makes the toddler catch on quicker. But I've found several references on different potty training sites saying that the "experts" are mixed about this method. Does anyone know why the "experts" would be opposed to the butt-naked approach? And yes, obviously it's messier.

kaycee14

Asked by kaycee14 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think one concern is the fact that you can't let them run around naked in public. So then they kinda take 2 steps back when they have to go out in public. I think it's a great idea! I'm working on potty-training my son and have been letting him run around naked. But I have tried to cut down on trips outside of the house until he really gets the hang of it. Have you got her a "potty book"? This is my son's favorite book. It's a book called "Everyone Poops" and it's kinda funny, actually. But I put it beside the toilet and when he's sitting there he looks at that book.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 2:54 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• i have no idea. thats why i don't listen to the ''experts''. as long as no one is here beside family my dauhgter is naked. my visting nurse says it's just fine and it REALLY works. so unless "they" are gonna come to my house and potty train my dauhgter ima keep lettin her run free!
    marinewife52704

Answer by marinewife52704 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• i didnt know that and i dont care? it works for my son.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 10:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Oh I agree.... it seems to be working for us. I'm just curious about why anyone would object.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2008