what are the possibilities of your baby being breeched ?

im in my 37th week of pregnancy. thankfully my doctor is telling is that the baby is in the right position i.e. head down and legs up, lol.
anyways a friend told me yesterday that she was also doing fine till her 39th week. baby was in the right position, and then when she went into labor, her baby had changed position at the last minute, probably in her last week of pregnancy. hence the doctors has to preform c-section on her.
now thats scaring me !! how can the baby breech at the last minute? and what are the ways you can prevent of that not happening ? i really want to have a normal delivery but her story has really made me nervous..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't think you can prevent it.The baby can turn at anytime and then turn right back again. Don't freak out about it because it will cause to much stress on your baby. It is also add stress on you that you don't need. Remember it happens to some and not all.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:20 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Don't worry---at this point it would be rare for a baby to turn and be breech....enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and best wishes for an easy delivery!!!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:32 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• If it happens it happens -no sense in stressing about it :o) No matter what you will be holding a beautiful baby soon!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 7:57 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Well first off just because a baby is breech does NOT mean you need a c-section. My son was breech from about 32-39 weeks and my midwife was perfectly happy with delivering him that way since he was butt first breech. He did turn the night before I went into labor though. I know he did because I felt horrible pain and you could physically see him doing it and then I could breathe! Worrying about it does nothing and if they do turn just before labor there is little you can do. You can do other things a few weeks or so before labor if you like to try and turn a breech baby and I had anappointment to try to turn him manually the day I gave birth.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:25 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Pretty rare for them to turn now, but not impossible. Nothing you can do to stop them. You don't HAVE to do a c-section if the baby tolerates labor well. Even if baby doesn't tolerate it well you can still refuse a c-section. I'm not sure why your supposed friend decided to tell you a freak out story, but don't let it get to you. Every woman and every pregnancy is different. In the end the only thing that matters is your baby, not how he or she got here, just that they are finally here.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:12 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My baby turned breech the night before my induction at 41+ weeks. My sister's baby turned from breech the day before her scheduled c/s, so it can happen at any time up to and including labour. But freaking out about it won't stop it from happening or make it happen. Try to relax, even if it does happen and you do end up with a c/s, it's not the end of the world. While I wouldn't choose a c/s over a vaginal birth the end result of a healthy baby is worth it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I would encourage your friend to get another provider.
    Using a surgeon will increase the risks for a cesarean. If a woman uses a provider that saves a cesarean for an emergency, she is less likely to have one.
    Her baby can turn at any time, even IN labor. Having a breech vaginal delivery is an option. There are wonderful exercises, and moxibustion and Webster Technique. Moms can save a cesarean for an emergency~
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:56 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My doctor told me that once a baby turns head down and you're late in your pregnancy that it won't turn the other way again. It simply can't because there isn't any room to turn. Could that the women who think their babies turned were breech all along.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2010