My Baby Can Read?

Does anyone use this program? Does it work for your family? Any suggestions. I have a 6mo. old and it kind of makes him mad.

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 7:41 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I've only heard bad things from it.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:42 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• its rote learning, like a pavlovs dog response thing. the children are not lreaning to read. they are learning to give a response to a particular set of letters/picture etc. its a total utter rip off
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:43 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My niece and nephew learned to read from it so i disagree. My niece is 7 months.
    pinkebabii

Answer by pinkebabii at 7:45 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• ya, why rush it? Let kids just be kids while they can, its gone so very fast.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:59 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• @pinkbabii: It's memorization. Not reading. Phonics is reading. Your niece and nephew memorized the shape of some words. And, a reading 7 month old will not be any more advanced than her peers in school. Heck, I could read at 3 without this program and I was not at an advantage in school.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:02 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It is simply memorization of certain shapes (letters) put together representing certain actions or things. A friend used it and her kids could only "read" the words they had been taught on the cards and nothing else. At 4 years old my son truly was reading with phonics and sounded words out and stuff. My 3 year old is now doing the same and neither was because I forced them to they simply loved reading with me and started to pick up on things.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:21 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• As some of the other ladies have said, it's memorization, not reading. I don't think it's harmful, but I also don't believe it's going to make a child more advanced than his or her peers. I've been working on the alphabet with my 2.5 yo, he can't "read" but he does know the sound a lot of letters make, and is starting to figure out what letter certain words start with. We have fun with it, and he enjoys books. IMO, teaching phonics is more beneficial than this program.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:33 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• it was banned from our house. we figured school was hard enough my punish our kid now. they really don't need another reason to be teased
    riss280

Answer by riss280 at 8:33 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• sorry to the lady who thinks her 7 month old neice can read.....errr WRONG. sorry . she is only doing what she was trained to do like a monkey in the circus. its not READING.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:59 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It's fine for entertainment, but does not teach reading or reading comprehension (although babies will learn to recognize words by sight, they wouldn't understand the meaning of a string of words put together).
    jrd_phd

Answer by jrd_phd at 12:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2010