Why do people think that its okay to be color-blind?

Now, hear me out. I'm not saying we should be racist. Racism is BAD, yes?

But, by saying "I'm color-blind," you are really saying that somebody's race means nothing to you. You are ignoring it completely.

The problem with this is that we can actually LEARN from each others' differences, but when we ignore them, we really just perpetuate the idea that all society should be the same. Being "color blind" translates into being ignorant of the differences that make us beautiful and unique individuals!

How can we, as a society and as individuals, move from trying to ignore race and culture entirely, to a place of embracing and VALUING multi-ethnicity as something that is good and beautiful??

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 8:10 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• People want to say that so you THINK they are not holding predejuices based on race,,,,,

There is nothing wrong with color, culture and appreciating our differences

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:13 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I think you're asking for too much too soon. It's better to just be color blind for a while IMO then ask for everyone to completely accept and see the beauty of different races. I personally feel that I do this, but as a whole, I don't think our society is remotely ready for this. Consider how the average american treats someone from the middle east....
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 8:13 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I completely agree with you. I also think there is trash in every color and a race should not be judged by the worst trash they produce and around here I think that is often the case for most races other then white.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:15 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I also think there is trash in every color and a race should not be judged by the worst trash they produce and around here I think that is often the case for most races other then white.

Answer by aeneva

I agree with you too.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 8:17 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Who care about race culture is a different thing learning is a different thing I have a multicultural family my mom is Irish and Jewish my day is half and half we have about twenty other races in our family the lesson is to not be ignorant but to take knowledge from wherever it comes.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:20 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• sorry keyboard is having battery issues this morning it was supposed to be dad
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:21 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I dunno.. saying "I'm colorblind" in the sense you are using it sounds more to me like "I don't look at someones color before getting to know them"
    For me anyways, it does.
    I have refered to myself as colorblind in the past and its not because I wanna group everyone into one pot, its because color of skin is meaningless to me. I can get to know and learn about other cultures and differences without focusing on skin color.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 8:23 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I agree with toribabe! It just means, to me, that you dont look to the persons skin when getting to know them, you just get to know them like a human being, not a African American, Mexican, Asian, ETC...
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:27 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• BUT I dont want you to see me. I am not like any other African American person but I do have some of the same characteristics. African Americans have a VERY rich culture. Much that many of us dont know.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 8:28 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• To me, being "color-blind" is simply not looking at someone's race and passing a sterotypical judgement. When I meet someone new, the color of their skin is like the color of their eyes, non-important. Race and culture to me are two different things. As far as Americans go, IMO we share the same culture, American.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 8:28 AM on Aug. 23, 2010