Love the Constitution so much, except all the parts they want to change..why do you believe this?

Republican Rep. Paul Broun of Georgia won his seat in Congress campaigning as a strict defender of the Constitution. He carries a copy in his pocket and is particularly fond of invoking the Second Amendment right to bear arms.
But it turns out there are parts of the document he doesn't care for — lots of them. He wants to get rid of the language about birthright citizenship, federal income taxes and direct election of senators, among others. He would add plenty of stuff, including explicitly authorizing castration as punishment for child rapists.

This hot-and-cold take on the Constitution is surprisingly common within the GOP, particularly among those like Broun who portray themselves as strict Constitutionalists and who frequently accuse Democrats of twisting the document to serve political aims.

Why do you keep falling for the BS line that they LOVE the Constitution so much...when it is clear they want to CHANGE it?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:12 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't but I do love the constitution and don't wish it to change. One reason out of many why I hate politicians.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I'm all for the castration to child rapists!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 8:25 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• You do know that income tax was originally forbidden in the constitution and then they changed it. The constitution was designed to be changed through official procedures. I would rather have somebody vote and change the constitution than write laws in direct violation of it and then stare at you like you have two heads when you point out to them that they can't legally do that. 

I'm not familiar with Paul Broun, sounds like a crack pot.  Then again who would go into politics these days?  Seems like a crappy thankless job. 

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:04 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• SOMEONE conveniently forgot to mention this part....

Democrats, who typically take a more liberal view of the Constitution as an evolving document, have proposed 27 amendments, and fully one-third of those are part of a package from a single member, Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., D-Ill. Jackson's package encapsulates a liberal agenda in which everyone has new rights to quality housing and education, but most of the Democratic proposals deal with less ideological issues such as congressional succession in a national disaster or voting rights in U.S. territories.

But, yeah, it's all about those "evil Republicans!!  Spin, baby spin!! LOL :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:02 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Good question....why do they talk a good line about the Constitution as Conservatives but want to change things that would serve THEIR purpose? Hmmmm....quite a mystery.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:18 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I get the passion behind some of those things, but don't agree with the use of it. Like the castration of a child predator. As a punishment? fine. But one need not have a penis or testicles to violate another person, even sexually. It won't stop the predator, it may actually escalate their behavior. child rapists should just be shot, IMO. If they are blatantly guilty, then just get rid of that human waste.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:54 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• But its the REPUBLICANS who PREACH they are STRICT CONSTITUTIONIALIST...Maybe you MISSED the JIST of the article...

***
    Really?! ALL of them?! Got a source?!

And , NO I didn't miss anything...YOU stated in your "original" post "[Republicans] LOVE the Constitution so much...when it is clear they want to CHANGE it?"

THAT is what I was responding to!! WHY did YOU conveniently omit the part about Democrats ALSO wanting to CHANGE the Constitution by proposing their OWN set of liberal amendments?! Why do Democrats get to consider The Constitution an "evolving" document, but Republicans cannot?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:11 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Sweet, you call Franklin "YOUR MAN" . Your ideology is NOTHING like his was.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:22 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I chuckled to my self as I searched for it. :)

***

Thanks to School House Rock...I never forgot it!!! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_TXJRZ4CFc

It's a catchy little tune!! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:44 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• They're all the same, I bet none of them could even give you the preamble without looking it up first!
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:19 AM on Aug. 23, 2010