if ur husband is muslim & ur christian but not practicing would u let him raise the kids muslim?

my husband is muslim & we've been talking about having kids, he has none & i have 1 by a previos marriage. i grew up christian but don't go to church. he regularly attends friday prayers & goes to the local mosque so his faith is much greater than mine. he wants to raise the kids muslim which i don't really have a problem w/i was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else & wut kinds of challenges our kids will face growing up in america being muslim.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly, this is a perfect oppurtunity for the two of you to show your kids how to have an open mind about faith. If he wants to raise them muslim that is fine, but you (as well as him probably) can teach them about christianity, and when they get older let them choose.
    The kids may face some problems with others kids who will not understand their religion. Many people have misunderstandings about the muslim religion so they will probably have many aggruments with other kids about the faith and possibly even get picked on for it, but raise your kids to know both religions (of course with the understanding the knowing other religions and beliefs is very important to a good social understanding).
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 9:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Well, its the opposite for us, Im Muslim and my husband is a Christian...and we show our daughter both religions and we both decided to let our cihldren decide when they are older what they want to practice. Even if my children decided not to be either Muslim or Christian but lets say wanted to be Jewish, that is fine. I believe that as long as you believe in God and have a clean lifestyle and heart that is what matters. As far as being picked on in school, I never really was picked on in school for my religious background but more my race then anything..Im Indian...Grew up in a completely white neighborhood and schools...But I feel that it made me stronger as a human being...so with that said..this is a good chance to reveal to them as much information as possible! Good Luck to you!!
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 9:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I wouldn't, but I'm a Christian (I've never really understood the whole "practicing" idea - you either are or you aren't but that's beside the point :-)). The 2 faiths are so very different to me. I don't mean it offensively but I couldn't have married someone in the first place with a faith that different from my own, and definitely wouldn't like for my children to be raised in it. Not b/c I think they are bad people or anything like that, just b/c I don't agree with or believe in many of their beliefs.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 9:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I'm not Christian, but I would not.
    Take that with a grain of salt, though. I've had less than pleasant experiences with Muslims, so my opinions are kind of tainted.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:01 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• If you dont practice then why does it matter to you what religion the children are bought up? Answered at 11:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 by: Laura1229 I'm not Christian, but I would not. Take that with a grain of salt, though. I've had less than pleasant experiences with Muslims, so my opinions are kind of tainted

I feel bad for you...what did they do that left you tainted? I didnt know a whole group of people could be hated by one person for one experience...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Also for being a Buddhist you dont seem to be very tranquil or peaceful for that matter...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• ERM.....in islam...just so you know...the religion follows the father. So technically, any children that you two have together....are supposed to be muslim. HE SHOULD KNOW THAT.
    I'm muslim....I was christian but converted....AND NO IT WASN"T FOR MY HUSBAND...he was totally against it.....but learning as I did that what children we will have will be raised muslim...I learned about Islam and it spoke to my heart and I converted....then didn't tell my husband for 4 months cause I knew he would have a fit thinking I only did it for him.
    THAT BEING SAID....YOU TWO NEED TO TAKE ABOUT IT.
    AmmuJinanSamaan

Answer by AmmuJinanSamaan at 12:19 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It can say whatever you dont have to raise them anything...he prolly does know that..but since he married outside his religion..he was giving her a choice...no need to be rude about it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I wasn't being rude about it....I'm sorry if you read it that way...and I'm sorry if it sounds that way. I was just telling her....Islamically, they are supposed to be muslim if they follow the religion of the father....HE SHOULD KNOW THAT...and should have told her that BEFORE they got married...I knew before I got married because my husband and I talked about it.....THAT'S why I ended with....THAT BEING SAID...YOU TWO NEED TO TALK ABOUT IT......sorry I put take...I meant talk....THEY SHOULD TALK ABOUT IT...because when it comes down too it.....it's their house, their marriage, their children.
    AmmuJinanSamaan

Answer by AmmuJinanSamaan at 12:31 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• okay. Thank you for clearing that up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Oct. 9, 2008