My almost 10 month old won't eat baby food anymore..

Since he won't eat baby food and is only eating table food i'm having a hard time getting him his vegetables everyday, any suggestions?

excitedmommy22

Asked by excitedmommy22 at 8:47 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Will he not eat them, or are you having a hard time deciding what to give him? My son loved soft cooked carrots and potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli. If he won't eat them, try mixing them in with something he likes.

Answer by missanc at 8:52 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Steam veggies and offer several servings throughout the day. Babies prefer to feed themselves and making your own "baby food" that way is so much easier.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:52 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• He will eat them just having a hard time deciding what to give him.
    excitedmommy22

Comment by excitedmommy22 (original poster) at 8:54 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• YOu may have less issues if you allow him to self feed and self regulate his intake. Don't worry if he doesn't eat much at first, his main nutrition should still come from breastmilk (or formula).

Check out Babyled solids

Fresh frozen peas, spearks of baked sweet potato, broccoli, cauliflower, steamed carrot coins, roasted beets, butternut squash, tomatoes, summer squash, steamed green beans, hummus.... really anything you can think of should be offered. Don't be afraid of soups or spices either. BAbies do have taste buds and enjoy a good meal like we do!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:55 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• deciding which table foods to feed is no more difficult than picking out which jar to feed him.

amilee gave you a great list of veggies to try though.

if the jars were just easier for you, get the jars of gerber graduates diced veggies.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:04 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• He is tired of what he has been eating maybe. My son is 10 months and eats a lot of what we eat, within reason. I make sure his servings are cooked so they are softer for him to chew. But you can cook any veggie and make a lot of servings with it and just dice it up. It's way cheaper than the jarred stuff as well. They want to feed themselves! My 10 month old already uses a spoon, not well, but since he has been able to hold it I give it to him. He tends to feed me or someone else LOL but if you watch, he deffinately gets the concept that you scoop up food with it and eat it. If I put food on the spoon/fork for him, he puts it in his mouth. Try making some rice with veggies in it, you can add a little cheese to give it a stickier consistency and taste. Or twirly noodles, they are easy for them to grasp. You cuold puree up some veggies and put them in the speghetti sauce, I do this just to add veggies.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:12 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• For the most part we just give my daughter whatever we're having. So if you're having veggies, so will your son. For times when my daughter can't eat what we have (really spicy food, salad) I keep tomatoes or avocados on hand and slice them up for her.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:19 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Give your baby a wide variety of veggies simply cooked. Cooked veggies are better because they are easier to digest but you don't want them cooked to death. You want to stay away from corn and veggies that are hard to digest. Babies never need baby food and can start solids on things like fork mashed sweet potato and avacado that they feed themselves. Feeding themselves (with their hands) is an important skill and they can eat the amount they want.

Don't limit veggies to just what you like. You can quickly steam or microwave. If you make too much of something you can freeze it or store in fridge. You could make an acorn squash and if you don't like it you could freeze in serving size portions. You don't have to "make baby food."

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:34 AM on Aug. 23, 2010