Drinking caffeine while pregnant? Your thoughts.....

When I first got pregnant I stopped drinking caffeine in the first trimester, in the beginning of my second I started drinking coffe again. I drink 16 oz. of regular coffee a day. Some people can't believe I still do that because Im pregnant and I'm wondering what other moms think about that. My doctor said 16 oz. a day is OK and everything else I've read said no more then that. So why are people around me making such a big deal about it? Did you guys drink caffeine while pregnant?

JenniFerKroeum

Asked by JenniFerKroeum at 8:55 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They are making a big deal because at one time, caffeine was considered a no-no, like 18 years ago when I was pregnant with my first DD. The recommendation for caffeine continuously changes, just listen to what your Dr tells you and don't worry about all those people freaking out.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:59 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I drank caffeine through out my pregnancies. Tried to stop drinking it once, got awful migraines from it. my body is addicted to caffeine. I looked at the pros and cons of it and decided to keep drinking it though I did cut back.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:02 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• As long as you feel comfortable, don't worry about others.

Sounds like you have the hang of a little thing called "moderation" :)

Now, if you were drinking several cans of soda a day on top of coffee and all that, I could see reason for concern.

Caffiene IS an addictive drug.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 9:03 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Moderation. It's fine in moderation and just try not to drink it 3 hours before bedtime. Dr. Pepper was my caffeine addiction I drank it the entire pregnancy.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:05 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My doctor told me I could have two cups of coffee a day, I did with all three of my kids. You're always going to get opinions from people, whether or not you want them! Listen to your doctor.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:06 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I drank 16 oz as well through my pregnancies. I actually drank one latte a day. If I had another then it was decaf. My kids both turned out fine.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:08 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I had 2 pregnancies and 2 healthy babies, drank 16 oz of caffeine a day. I talked to my doctor both times about it and she reassured me that 16 oz or less was fine.

At one time, caffeine was considered a no-no, but just like everything else, the rules have changed of the years and research has found that small amounts of caffeine intake per day are not harmful to the mother or the fetus.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:16 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I was a BIG coffee drinker but when I got pregnant I stopped. Along with fast food, seafood & alcohol and I was very careful about what beauty products I used. It is only for 9 months so what is the big deal to make sacrifices. There are too many issues with children being born today, I tried my best to eliminate anything that may now or in the future Dr.'s know can cause problems. Information on what is safe for pregnant women is constantly changing, you have to use your better judgement. Smoking during pregnancy was once said to be fine too. After all it is Your child inside of you, That is why i sacrificed for my babies health. But everyone is free to do what they feel is right.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:37 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I drank coffee with my other pregnancies and I still do. I only have one cup a day. If you plan on breast feeding the important time to quit is then because the caffeine in the milk can keep the baby up! I quit drinking coffee after I had the baby for that reason. Yep, I got the headaches but they pass after a few days!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:38 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I drink 1 cup of hot tea in the morning, and 2 pepsi in the afternoon, my dr said it was fine. I also drink water and caff. free pepsi too, and this is my last baby and shes doing just fine...
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 9:51 AM on Aug. 23, 2010