Do you agree with paul Ryan's plan?

Former House Majority Leader Dick Armey (R-Tx) on Sunday said lawmakers who have not signed onto Rep. Paul Ryan's plan to balance the budget lacked "courage" and could be targeted by the conservative tea party movement as a result

Armey's comments on NBC's Meet the Press came just moments after Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) sidestepped a question about Ryan's plan, which looks to balance the budget by reinventing slimmer versions of Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security and the tax code. Ryan (R-Wis.) is the ranking member of the House Budget Committee.

Ryan's proposal is controversial for many Republicans who have attacked Democrats over their handling of the federal debt but don't want to say that they would favor cutting entitlement programs.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cq/20100822/pl_cq_politics/politics3725365

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:05 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I say #1- get rid of the for life pensions and HC for the politicians. Force them to work, save and plan like the rest of America. If they do not like the new parameters, they can find another source of income. These folks need to get in the real world-maybe they'd start making some rational decisions.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:57 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I think government is all in all bloated. It takes forty people to do the job of one person, because every Congressman's cousin needs a job, and they don't have to be good at it. So yes, these programs need to be slimmed. Start with the admin costs, and then work on the fraud.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:55 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Yes, I do.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:08 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I do and I don't. I don't believe that we need to "slim down" those programs, however, I do believe that when a business has a department that doesn't work - you overhaul the department in order to have them run more efficiently. I am 100% for a more efficient version of those programs.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 10:27 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• The # 1 goal of a politician is to get elected/re-elected. I doubt too many of them care about the details of the job. They'll pander to any group in order to maintain their positions and control. They're (as a collective group) especially flippant about addressing issues that will likely never affect them. Long term HC, Medicare, SS- they'll never have to worry about that drivel.......the politicians are their own special interest group and that's who they pander to the most!!!!!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:53 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• me too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• lol, the obscenity filter blocked out Dick
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:52 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• "All Paul Ryan is saying is let Social Security be voluntary, let Medicare be voluntary," Armey said. "The fact that he only has 13 co-sponsors is a big reason why our folks are agitated against the Republicans as well as the Democrats -- the difference between being a co-sponsor of Ryan or not is a thing called courage."

Armey, chairman of the limited-government group FreedomWorks, has been one of the most vocal advocates for the anti-tax tea party movement since it began in 2009.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:06 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I am 100% for a more efficient version of those programs.

I think everyone wnats that....its the HOW TO GET THERE that we are having trouble with

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Ryan's proposal is controversial for many Republicans who have attacked Democrats over their handling of the federal debt but don't want to say that they would favor cutting entitlement programs.

***

I support Ryan's plan! Unfortunately the RINO's and those afraid to stick their necks out and risk not being re-elected are the very ones we hope to clean Congress of in November!! There are bad apples on BOTH sides!

Of course, I find it "funny" that when GW Bush proposed privatizing Social Security 5 years ago, he was nearly crucified by those who WOULD NOT have been affected by it (the over 50 crowd), but NOW that the Social Security till is about to run dry, Ryan's idea is suddenly "brilliant!!!" Oh, yeah, give it a few more years, and I have no doubt Bush will be exonerated for his apparent poor fiscal management and proposals!  A little perspective is usually all that is needed! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:38 AM on Aug. 23, 2010