Do you recycle?

I was brought up reusing, but we rarely recycled. I guess you could call collecting our pop cans for recycling cuz they paid 5 cents a can recycling... but as for all the plastic and paper we used it our house... it went straight to a landfill.
I moved to the UK two years ago and it's completely different here. There is a bin for trash, one for leaves and plants and spoiled veggies/fruit, and there is a recycling bin. There are a million things that you can throw in this bin for recycling, and you don't have to do any sorting, anything that can be recycled is just thrown right in (after it's rinsed of course). I wish the USA had this system.
The british do of course pay to have their trash picked up. It's part of a counsil tax that goes to other maintainence as well. It really is a good system though.

Mom2unangel

Asked by Mom2unangel at 9:23 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Yep i love to recycle, behind our Walmart, they have bins for EVERYTHING
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 4:23 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• ya but I think the garbage guys take it anyways. I rarely see the recycle people come out our way
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:24 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• europe does alot of things better than the US. recycling is just one of them. dont get me wrong i love my country but there are alot of things that we can really improve on that europe has been doing for years.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:27 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• That sounds great... we really DO need a system like that here in the US.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:28 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I don't, our community is horrible at offering easy ways to recycle. (The closest recycling drop off is 10 miles away, and they only accept aluminum and paper.) I try to buy low-packaging things, and I use my own bags when I shop. It's not enough, but it's what I can do for right now.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:30 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We recycle everything. If it can't be recycled, I try not to buy it. We also pay for recycling pick up and since trash pick up is so expensive ($10/bag), I recycle an awful lot!
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 9:32 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Where do you live 5BabyBees?
    Mom2unangel

Comment by Mom2unangel (original poster) at 9:48 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• its like that in CA but we live in AL now and they only take a few things (they don't even take cardboard or glass!)
    anyway, it takes higher taxes for a system like that and a lot of people in the states aren't up for that
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:31 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Oh, I know all about the states and not wanting higher taxes. I went to a school that still to this day doesn't have AC because the people living around there don't think it's necessary. There are days they have to let the kids out of school for the heat every year. I guess it makes since... we'd rather overthrow our government then accept higher taxes (revolutionary war).
    Mom2unangel

Comment by Mom2unangel (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We do.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 11:20 AM on Aug. 23, 2010