How do i make my 3 year old comfortable with going to preschool?

My older girls loved preschool and i gave plenty encouragement and they had no trouble settling, however this daughter is not looking forward to it and cries every time its mentioned.. Any advice?

Sparkle-Mom

Asked by Sparkle-Mom at 9:38 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• tell em about all the fun things they do there
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:39 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Have your older daughters talk to her and tell her all they did and the fun they had.
    Remember, she will feel what you feel. You take the lead. Try not to let her hesitation cause you apprehension.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:41 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Do a 'practice run' by packing up her backpack, driving to the school, and walking to the door. Making that part of the transition more familiar will help.

Try asking her what she thinks will help her be less scared- maybe taking a favorite stuffed animal or blanket with her.

Ask the teacher for the daily schedule and explain it to her. That way, she'll know what's coming and the fun she has to look forward to!
    jrd_phd

Answer by jrd_phd at 11:20 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Thank you guys! All this suggestions are greatly appreciated. Hopefully she will settle well
    Sparkle-Mom

Comment by Sparkle-Mom (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My 3 ½ year isn't interested so I'm not sending him until he's 4. I personally don't understand the point of 3 yr old preschool around here though, because all I have heard is that it's almost a carbon copy of 4 yr old preschool yet it costs $60 per month (4 pre is free) and they can't start K until they are 5 no matter what anyway. But that's just my rambling/venting... sorry. lol

In your situation I would suggest having the older kids tell her how great preschool was, hopefully it will help. If not, good news is time is on your side and she will eventually settle into the routine and enjoy the activity. :)

Good luck!
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My son was really nervous about going to but once he got there he had a great time. I think just not knowing what it was going to be like was much scarier than actually being there. Maybe you will get lucky too and she'll do better than you think. If not, then just give her a few weeks to get used to it.
    spamica

Answer by spamica at 2:17 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• " I personally don't understand the point of 3 yr old preschool around here though, because all I have heard is that it's almost a carbon copy of 4 yr old preschool yet it costs $60 per month "

Not to hijack but wow! i wish I could send my kids to preschool for $60 per month!!
    spamica

Answer by spamica at 2:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

"Not to hijack but wow! i wish I could send my kids to preschool for $60 per month!!"

Really? Wow. That is crazy to me only because all but the private Catholic school offers FREE 4 yr old preschool. Maybe it seems like so much to me because money would get really tight with that coming out every month on top of our standard bills (water, gas, etc.) and then our student loan payments... But I live in Iowa and our cost of living is a lot lower than most places. :)

kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 3:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I stopped mentioning it when I realized it was making my son anxious.. I arranged for him to see the school before he started and meet his teacher. We also took a couple of pictures of the classroom and playground that I posted on the refrigerator. They were there for him to see and talk about if/when he wanted to.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 5:18 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My son's preschool had a meet the teacher night. See if your child's preschool has one. That should help.
    extremelibrary

Answer by extremelibrary at 5:21 PM on Aug. 23, 2010