How can I get my son more foucused on his homework?

How can I get my son more interested in his homework? I am having major trouble getting my son to do his work. It takes hours and he is falling way behind. Every ounce of energy I have is spent on getting him foucused, but I am running out of ideas. He has ADHD and has trouble paying attention big time. I'm sure I am not the only parent with this problem. Please help!!!!!!!

lilsparkysmom

Asked by lilsparkysmom at 9:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I had this problem with my ADHD son also. Do you have him do it right after school? I find that if I give my son a "cool down" period after school, he is more willing to do his homework. I let him come in, get a snack, run around for a bit, then have him get ready for it. There are days that it's still a fight but for the most part it works much better for us.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 9:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I give my ADHD son a snack and a 30 minute break when he gets home, but there is no tv or video games until homework is finished. Sometimes he will choose to get to the homework right away just to have tv or game time. I also break homework up into smaller tasks with breaks for outside time or a quiet activity, drawing, listening to music, board game. There is still a lot of negative response to homework, but I feel like I am in control more often and less likely to engage in arguements with him now that the rules have been established.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:36 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Like the previous posts, have your son relax after school for a while. He will eventually become laid back and stable enough to focus on his studies. I would also suggest you check out this incredible website called Nogginpower2. One thing I learned from Nogginpower2 is that it offers a great deal of information, such as Getting Great Grades, Discipline, Making New Friends and Getting a Good Night Sleep. By visiting Nogginpower2, you can have the ability to have some resources handy , in terms of you helping your child be focused on his assignments. They can even educate your son about the importance of time management. I hope this helps you with your current situation. Thank you and good luck.
    paulacolls19715

Answer by paulacolls19715 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I am a special education teacher. I have a class full of 15 yr. olds with ADHD. I know how it is ....I have then right after lunch. We have 45 minute classes, and i only get in about 30 mins of instruction because they need a time where they can cool down and relax. they need that time to chill out
    kayteee25

Answer by kayteee25 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2008