potty training

anyone have good potty training tips? my boy is 2 1/2 years old, and i am having the hardest time. he is very bright, so i would think he gets it. but he really doesn't want to sit on the potty (atleast not with his pants down, as he will sometimes go sit on it with his pants still on).

susanjpt

Asked by susanjpt at 9:40 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you can try to put the potty in front of the tv and put some cartoons on for him and let him sit there naked .and give him a snack while he sits on it .thats what i did for my kids and it worked the first couple times if they go they may not even know they went but if you make a big deal outta it and do it everyday they will get the hang of it
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• If he doesn't want to sit on the potty, he may not be ready to potty train. Let him use it as a chair for the time being and maybe he will start becoming interested. The downside to getting frustrated is that it's no longer a game to him. It has to be a game to get cooperation.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My daughter does this too. Try the "big" potty. My daughter prefers that one because she can flush after she's done.
    vr3star

Answer by vr3star at 12:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• May not be ready. Boys usually take longer than girls. My son had just weaned at 2.5 and was no where near PLing... just after he turned 3 he started going all by himself. I explained to him when he would go in his diaper that pee and poo belong in the toilet when he was around 2y9m to start. I do the same with the little girl I watch (will be 3 in dec)... I tease her telling her that she has to "feed" the potty poo poo (she pees in there no problem). Make it fun, don't stress too much about it and he'll get it in his own time. We also only do the big toilet. I'd rather change diapers than clean out the little toilets, yuck!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2010