Is obama against coal mining?

I had a friend say this today.. was wondering if it is true.. My DH is coal miner.. and would this mean he would be out of his job? I know I am an idiot when it comes to the politics and current events...

emturner

Asked by emturner at 9:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• emturner, just a quick non post related question. as far as the coal mining is going right now, are the miners all working at full schedules? overtime and producing more right now than they have in a long time? and where is he mining?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Obama supports clean coal
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 9:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 9:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Ensure 10 percent of Our Electricity Comes from Renewable Sources by 2012, and 25 percent by 2025.

Deploy the Cheapest, Cleanest, Fastest Energy Source -- Energy Efficiency.

Obama and Biden will set an aggressive energy efficiency goal -- to reduce electricity demand 15 percent from projected levels by 2020.

Weatherize One Million Homes Annually.

Obama and Biden will make a national commitment to weatherize at least one million low-income homes each year for the next decade, which can reduce energy usage across the economy and help moderate energy prices for all.

Develop and Deploy Clean Coal Technology.

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 9:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• continues Obama’s Department of Energy will enter into public private partnerships to develop five “first-of-a-kind” commercial scale coal-fired plants with clean carbon capture and sequestration technology.

Prioritize the Construction of the Alaska Natural Gas Pipeline. As president, Obama will work with stakeholders to facilitate construction of the pipeline. Not only is this pipeline critical to our energy security, it will create thousands of new jobs.

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 9:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• YES Obama is against coal mining be aware of that... HE has gone back on his stance in last weeks --- THAT I WOULD NOT TRUST... This came up in the VP debates... where Biden has made several comments against COAL as an energy source. But when they are called to the rug on it they deny it... IF I were you ... I would give it some serious consideration before you pull the level for Obama in the election if your family survives in the Coal industry!!! Do some real digging with reliable sources... I have family that works in the coal industry... I have family that works in the defense industry... NO WAY am I voting OBAMA --- but those are slight among the reasons I won't vote Obama!!
    Van822

Answer by Van822 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Obama’s Department of Energy will enter into public private partnerships to develop five “first-of-a-kind” commercial scale coal-fired plants with clean carbon capture and sequestration technology.

However republicans try to use that lie as yet another scare tactic to gain votes
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 10:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• emturner -------factchecking the vp debate.
    "Obama-Biden campaign spokesman David Wade said that “Biden’s point is that China is building coal plants with outdated technology every day, and the United States needs to lead by developing clean coal technologies.”

Whatever Biden meant or didn’t mean to say on the rope line, he has supported clean coal in the past. When the McCain camp used this one remark from Biden as the basis for a TV ad saying that Obama-Biden oppose clean coal, we said the claim was false. Obama’s position in favor of clean coal has been clear, and pushing for the technology has been part of his energy policy."
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 11:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• what is 'sequestration technology'? when i first read those words, i thought ,''equestrian technology? what are they going to do with horses???'' i know...i'm tired. help a gal out, and explain.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• what is 'sequestration technology'?  hope this helps.

"Carbon Sequestration Program is helping to develop technologies to capture, purify, and store carbon dioxide (CO2) in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions without adversely influencing energy use or hindering economic growth. Carbon sequestration technologies capture and store CO2 that would otherwise reside in the atmosphere for long periods of time."

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 12:06 AM on Oct. 9, 2008