How to you get your little ones ready for school in the mornings.

Whats your mornings like? Today we started getting up early for the first time... He did really well, woke up got a shower right away, got dressed, ate breakfast... all within 30 minutes... It was pretty calm.

Johns hasn't been to school yet, so Im sure it will get crazy once school starts, but I wanted him to get used to going.

How crazy or noncrazy is your household in the mornings?

lilmoosesmom

Asked by lilmoosesmom at 9:54 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter is going to second grade this year , the past two years are mornings have always been wake up to breakfast , get dressed and hair done , double check our homework and make sure things are packed , a few minutes of cartoons ( or studying for test if there is one ) and then out the door we go .
    mamahol

Answer by mamahol at 9:57 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• not sure yet my DD will be starting kindergarden on the 1st she has never been to school before so we will see how it goes
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:56 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Well, I wake up around 6:30 in the morning because I babysit. I'll get his lunch ready and breakfast started. If he is not awake already, I wake him up at 7:30, feed him, get him dressed and his teeth brushed. He bathes at night. Then we will walk to the bus stop at 8:10. That time might change, I just don't know what time the bus will arrive.

School starts next week!
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 9:58 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My daughter is in 8th grade this year. She has to be at school at the same time i have to be at work, so i'm happy that we live right down the street from the school!!! thank goodness! She is really good about getting up and getting ready to go. Which is a change from when she was in elementary...When my youngest starts next year...I have no idea how we're going to get her started, or motivated...hopefully we can work on that this year...
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My 4 year old just started half day preK last week. It was about as challenging as I expected. She's used to being at home with me with a flexible routine. She's used to doddling and eating breakfast when she feels like it. The first 2 days of school she went hungry because she refused to eat before it was time to leave. Today she ate and got dressed and happily skipped out the door when it was time to load up.

It seems to me the key is my attitude as a parent. I don't act hasty or frazzled. I sing little sons about eating and getting dressed and guide her into what we need to be doing when. I also don't wait to the last minute to do everything. I give myself 20 min wiggle room.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:05 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• pretty easy, they dress themselves and come down and eat breakfast like little troopers
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:09 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• When my alarm goes off at 6am, I stumble tiredly onto Kyra's room, say her name and tell her it's time to get up. Then I make coffee and get myself dressed. When I'm done she's dressed, teeth brushed and hair brushed, ready to go. She watches tv in her room while she gets ready. And eats breakfast at school. I'm lucky, she's easy.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• its not crazy at all. ds takes a bath at night before bed. in the mornings, i've got his clothing put out where he can easily see and change from his pjs. i've fixed his breakfast, after asking what he wants to eat, and he goes right to the bathroom afterward, to brush his teeth and comb his hair. he may play for a few minute or follow me around to talk. (he's a big conversationalist, even in the a.m.). then we hop in the car, and off we go. at 8am, back at the house, i'm bored to tears, and can't wait til 230pm , to go get him.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:11 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Ours all shower the night before, then get up at 6:50am, dress, eat, brush teeth, and are out to the bus at 7:30. It's pretty routine. They get their clothes out the night before, shoes all go to the same place every evening, and have a place for their backpacks so they aren't looking for everything in the morning.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:15 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Mornings are smooth. I wake the kids up (last year it was at 6:45am) and they do their thing. They get their own breakfast and dress themselves and are ready to go. I would remind them at 7:30 that it was almost time to go but they were usually ready long before that.
    We've moved since then and this school starts later in the day (bus will pick them up at 8:23) so they won't have to get up so early but it will be the same. I'll wake them and then they get themselves ready and leave on their own. They are going into 2nd, 3rd and 5th grades this year.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:36 PM on Aug. 23, 2010