what do you think of this paragraph? i did not write it.

My "anti-religion" breakthrough came years ago when studying those morality enforcements like the Crusades, the Inquisition, and so on. I realized that "faith" and belief itself had little to do with religion. None of the "prophets" from Confucious to Buddha to Jesus to Mohammed to Gandhi to MLK (and Mandela) preached religion but instead, love, tolerance, non-violence or reason. Religion is a political construct and was utilized by all of civilization's overlords, pharaohs, high priests, caesars, popes, emperors, kings, younameit to link themselves with gods, and maintain power. It's a control thing. Even "In God We Trust" on our money reminds me of the historical fact that Rome's emperors often had themselves pictured on coins as gods. Hmmm...

ToriBabe1221

Asked by ToriBabe1221 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I agree for the most part!

SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:58 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Yep I agree.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:00 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• preaching religion, not love, non-violence, and and reason. But the problem is some of the time we can't reason so we then turn to counselors, and teachers, not always religion. But being religion only with no application there to , is like a sponge in the sea soaking up water for no purpose ---but that it can. so yes, we need purpose. Something to be used / needed and appreciated for. Recognized.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 10:03 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It sounds a lot like Karl Marxx's writings, he said "religion is the opiate of the masses." I agree mostly with what the writer is saying, I share the same viewpoint.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:04 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• that "faith" and belief itself had little to do with religion.---

THIS!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:04 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I agree with it.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:07 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
    Lucius Annaeus Seneca (Rome, 5BC-65AD)
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 10:07 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i agree mostly. religion is the opiate of the masses
    pmg1030

Answer by pmg1030 at 10:10 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i agree to all of it and i studied a lot of religions in school
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 10:31 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Sounds pretty accurate to me.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 23, 2010