Have you ever heard of the soft spot closing too soon?

My friend's son is 6 months old and his soft spot closed up already. Her ped. recommended she see a specialist. Have any of you ever heard of this and if so, what do they do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i know a lil girl who was 4 months and her soft spot was gone as well. i didnt know that it was ''bad''
    Anonymous

• A friend of mine's son had this and he had to have a few surgeries to correct it - allowing his brain room to grow as his skull fused too soon. Yes to the specialist, sure bay will be fine.
    irishcoffee

Answer by irishcoffee at 10:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I didn't know this was a "bad" thing either.. so I checked it out..
    hmm.. very interesting.
    http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bhealth/0,,3q4n,00.html
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My friends son's soft spot was closed by two weeks. His head started to deform because his brain did not have the room to grow. he had two surgerys to open the soft spot back up. After that he was fine
    proudmom1626

Answer by proudmom1626 at 1:48 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• There are a number of doctors who advise mothers to avoid vitamin D during pregnancy and breastfeeding, and when feeding their older babies. It tends to cause the bones to grow faster - a good thing in a calf destined for the meat market, NOT a good thing for a human child who has more important things to do than just grow fast. And it tends to make the bones harder, coarser. The soft spot would be the most obvious result, but actually the entire body is affected. ... yeah, it is difficult to get hold of non-vitamin D milk in a lot of places, but research it for yourselves and see if you might like to give your children the advantage of a more refined body ... just fyi ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Vitamin D is not necesarily bad for you. Studies are constantly conflicting each other. You really shouldn't believe everything you read. One month something is so great, we should eat tons of it and a year later, they say it causes cancer.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:00 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Oh I found this http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25642
    BridgetC140

• You are absolutely right that you shouldn't believe everything you read. I do want to reiterate caution about vit D for pregnancy and baby's first year. Where I read it was in books by Dr. zurLinden and Dr. Glas, pediatricians for decades with thousands of babies. Their alarms were raised by the results they were seeing in Europe with vit D injections. They caution mothers about regular dosing with vit D (we can get plenty of vit D with getting outdoors into the sunshine). I don't know if U.S. doctors dose with injections, but the notion that if a little vit D helps prevent rickets then a LOT - in every vitamin supplement and every drink of milk - must be better, is a questionable conclusion. As always, do your research ... from alternative as well as medical establishment sources. I will never forget that the US med establishment brought us years of x-rays and thalidomide during pregnancy....
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My soft spot was completely closed at about 5 weeks old. I had surgery to correct it and a plate put in. 25 Years later and I still have the plate. My head is a little lumpy, not round like most peoples but you can't tell by looking at it. After my surgery I developed normally and everything was fine. Unfortunately, I do get headaches and migraines alot. The docs say they can't really know if its because of the plate in my head or some other reason. But headaches are worth the procedure that had to be done.
    katskelington

Answer by katskelington at 1:04 PM on Dec. 22, 2008