Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

wasp stings

My son got stung on the eye twice from a wasp,and his eye is swollen and he is suppose to start school tuesday. Plus were suppose to meet the teachers today,should I take him to the doctors or just let the swelling work its way down on its own? Also does it mean he is extremely allergic to bees and wasps if he is stung and it swells?

 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Extremely allergic, no. Extremely allergic he would have wheezing or stop breathing all together. The thin skin of the eyelid is very delicate. It may be normal swelling. He could be mildly allergic, it's hard to say without seeing your child.

    Don't give Benedryl. Not only will it make him super sleepy, it's not as good of a choice (according to my allergist) for allergic reactions as Zyrtec. Give him some children's Zyrtec and go ahead with his school functions as long as he feels well. An allergic reaction to a sting (my daughter and I are allergic) will also cause grumpiness, general not feeling well, and a low grade fever as the body fights off the venum. If he has none of those symptoms, then I wouldn't worry at all.
    ThrivingMom

    Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:22 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • Most severe allergic reactions start within the first 30 minutes. Again, I say most. The best thing to do is give him the correct dose of benedryl for his age. It will help with the swelling and itching that will come once it starts getting better. If you are concerned at all - call the nurse. They will be able to asses if he should be seen by the doctor.

    In the future, if you give the benedryl as soon as he gets stung and keep it up for the first 24 hours the swelling should be significantly less.

    Benedryl can cause drowsiness but I find for insect bites and stings it works better than Alevert or Claritin.
    DreamGone

    Answer by DreamGone at 10:16 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • allergic means that he would go into shock,stop breathing etc. Everybody swells from the trauma of a wasp/bee sting.
    If he isn't having any problems breathing or has neck swelling for example,just give him an antihistimine and put ice on the sting.
    butterflyblue19

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • I would take him to the doctors. You never really know and it must hurt to be stung in the eye! Hope he feels better
    SabrenaLeigh

    Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:13 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • Call the doctor to see if they want him seen. It's better safe than sorry. I don't know how swollen it is, but I don't think he's extremely allergic. Swelling is pretty common especially in delicate areas. It at least warrants a call because it's near the eyes.
    2autisticsmom

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:16 AM on Aug. 23, 2010