how to paint over a dark color?

we're moving into the house i grew up in, my dad bought a new house and has agreed to let us rent the old one. my old room has dark paint, i'm wanting to paint over it a light color, it's going to be dd's room now, but how would i do that? paint layers of white over it first? should it be Kills, or does it matter?

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 10:12 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• best thing i found is to paint it with a base white paint. Let it dry, paint over it again, let it dry and MAY have to do it a 3rd time depending on how dark and think the paint was underneath. If it seems white enough, your ready.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:13 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Use Primer first! Never ever paint over any color without using primer first! There are paints now that have the primer mixed right in with the paint to save you time a money. I would suggest going with that. However, if you want to go seperate, by all means. Just remember to pain first with primer, then do one-two (or more if needed) coats of the color you choose.

The brand of primer/paint doesn't matter. If you have had mold or moisture problems then yes talk with the paint guy/gal about the best to use to reduce/block that. Otherwise it shouldn't matter.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:14 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• KILZ primer it first. Its in the paint aisle.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:14 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• PRIMER! That was the word I was looking for. a few coats of Primer
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:14 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• my mom used to work in a paint store, and she said just paint it!
    she said light colors cover better than darker colors, so you should only need like 2 coats of paint.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 10:14 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• use kilz. usually one coat will work, but to get a truer new color, i'd do two coats. sometimes, you can get the kilz tinted, if need be. but that all depends on what color you're planning on painting for new.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:14 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Use a primer coat, or Behr makes a great "primer/paint" in one - I painted an off white over brown and it worked with one coat.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:15 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I've used the KILZ. It works great and it covers everything pretty well. It covers better than any other brand I've used. I also have an older house and I was concerned about the lead paint too as well as covering some pretty interesting colors. If you paint with KILZ first, you can get it tinted too if you are having trouble covering colors. I also had some gloss paint that needed to be covered and wanted to put another type of paint on it. Some was an oil based paint on already. KILZ covers all of that and you can paint over lead paint and it will be safe again (so I was told).

Instead of having to put two coats of a paint color on, have them tint the KILZ the color you are using and it possibly could only take one coat of paint over the KILZ.

Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:25 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I use a primer coat, and most stores will tint the primer for you.
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 10:26 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• kilz primer :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:26 AM on Aug. 23, 2010