i'm thinking of buying a breadmaker....cheaper?

We go through bread like there's no tomorrow lol. I'm thinking of buying a breadmaker, what ingredients do you need for that? would it be cheaper than buying bread 2-3 times a week? how often do you go through bread? has it helped your grocery bill?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I don't know that a breadmaker is cheaper than buying bread. Once you've invested the $100 into the machine, and bought the ingredients, I think you'll end up about even, at least for the first few years. I make my own bread in the cooler months, it costs about $1.50 per loaf. (I don't use a bread machine).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:17 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• how do you make your bread then? in the oven? how do i do that?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• No... don't waste your money, unless of course you go to the thrift store because they have tons of those things. The loaves are soo small.... If you are unsuccessful at making it by hand (as I was ~ I suck at kneading), save up and get yourself a KitchenAide mixer with a dough hook. It does all the work, the bread comes out awesome and you can make soooo many different types of bread. I buy my flour from the bulk country store and I bake bread every week for pennies.... I love baking bread so much, I stopped at Home Depot and bought some unglazed terracotta tile for inside my oven...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:21 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• recipes will come with your breadmaker. I got my breadmaker for a gift. You can buy boxed breads too. There are recipes on line. I definitely didn't put $100 into a breadmaker and getting it set up ahead of time though. Its like everything else I have around here. I got tired of it and started buying my bread again. I found that I would forget to make the bread, it wouldn't fit into my toaster so I had to get regular bread, stuff like that. Then I started buying the frozen bread dough, it is a little bit cheaper. $5 for five frozen loaves. But then again I had to remember to make it a head of time again.

If you are interested in making your own bread from scratch, you can buy bread recipe books that tell you step by step how to do it. There are recipes on line and you can also watch videos on utube. Good Luck!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:22 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I clean a house and the lady I talked to makes bread often,she doesn't have a bread maker,but a mixing stand that gets all the ingredients incorporated just right which helps the bread bake up real nice. My husband keeps trying to buy me a bread maker and I told him I didnt want it that I would rather make bread the old fashined way.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:22 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Don't do That! But the book, Artisan bread in five minutes a day instead! It's life changing, and you can have fresh bread every single day!

The book asks you to invest in some equipment, but I did it without for a long a time, to make sure I really liked it. The website even has some ideas on how to bake with out the equipment.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:22 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I use a Kitchenaide stand mixer to knead the dough, it comes out perfect every time. My mom and MIL hand-knead theirs and it's always great, I just don't have the patience.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:24 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i wouldnt buy a big old expensive one. try your local freecyle listing online. many times people will give you one for free that has been sitting around unused. they can be really nice for making certain types of bread. but i would not say that they are a huge moneysaver
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:26 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:32 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMxJgIpe38Q

here's a video. OMG the bread is sooooo goood.
    lovinangels