He won't take anything

My milk is starting to dry up and he won't take formula. What should I do? All solids? That seems to be my only option. He'll starve himself.

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 10:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to talk to your pedatrician. First of all how old is your baby?
    purplediamond

Answer by purplediamond at 10:53 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Work on increasing your milk supply. Feed, pump, drink lots of water....
    He is too young to have solids
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Definitely talk to your MD, but what about whole milk? I told someone else about the formula in the book by Dr. Spock I used. My MD said it was OK but probably more difficult, but it's not harder than mixing powdered formula. My daughter loved it (and I saved a lot of money). She was 6 or 7 months when I started it. Some people argue about additional vitamins in formula, but that's easy to solve (OTC!).
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• goats milk would be an option possibly, NOT COWS MILK. But it also could be a growth spurt. Your milk may be just fine. Check out this link http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html There are herbs you can take. Eatting oatmeal. There are even medications you can take to get your supply back, you can talk to the doctor about that one. Check out this group on cafemom http://www.cafemom.com/group/lllcafemom
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:14 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• How old is he? My son did the same thing and I put him on whole milk at 9 months old- as advised by the pediatrician
    PiscesRooster

Answer by PiscesRooster at 1:15 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Go to La Leche League for advice on keeping up or increasing your milk supply. They will be PLEASED to talk with you and explore what's going on in your life and how you can help. Also, any midwife or doula would be eager to help - again, look up online. DONA is a doula site, or just google midwife and your state or county. These women are very helpful - I recently was seeking a midwife or doula for someone 3000 miles away, and I talked on the phone with easily a dozen different women. Also the magazine Midwifery Today, which has an internet site, might be a source. Truly, they know way more than the medical establishment about mothering practices. ... Best wishes !!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:24 AM on Oct. 9, 2008