My cat is 10 years old and is spraying... any ideas? help!

He is spraying and in various spots. He is a bit OCD. We have 4 litterboxes. I don't know if he is marking stuff or if he is upset. My vet thinks its attitude, but I'm not convinced. He seems to be crying and waling sometimes. Its been going on for a while. Does that Feliway work? I'm getting so tired of cleaning up that stinky mess. I've tried the enzyme cleaners but he keeps going back. Now we are painting trying to get rid of anything he may smell. I love him and won't get rid of him, I just need ideas at this point.

Lifes-A-Dance

Asked by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:43 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Pets

• My cat did this due to kidney failure. It's not something they can control. You can try medications, but it may be about time to let him go as sad as it is. We ended up putting our cat down because the meds didn't work and he was in a lot of pain.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:46 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• did the vet test for a UTI or kidney stones? I had a cat that did that and that was the problem.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Neutered cats are less likey to spray. You might try straight cider vinager along with the enzyme cleaner. I like the pine litter, you could try that in a box near the toilet and as soon as he poops flush it away. We have a cat with attitude but so far he isn't spraying. When he is not amused he knocks things off counters. He has to have his dry food piled in his bowl like a mountain. He doesn't like change.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:50 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Do you suppose it's just his age? Maybe these are uncontrollable circumstances. I'd seriously check with the Vet. You don't want him to suffer.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:53 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It definitely could be behavioral and there are medications that can help. The comfort zone with feliway plug ins do help as well. However, I would have blood work and a urinalysis done to rule out anything medical. This could be his way of saying something is wrong.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My male cat started urinating outside of the litterbox and yowling (mainly during the night). We took him to the vet, where our doc checked for various problems. Turns out, he is having kidney failure, having already lost approximately 2/3 of his kidney function. Did your vet run any tests at all before deciding it was just attitude?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• She ran a bunch of tests and said everything looked ok. They did xrays and took some blood and urine. I am getting so tired of cleaning up pee. Sometimes it is strong too. I have an appointment for all three of my cats on Saturday. I am hoping she can look at him again.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Comment by Lifes-A-Dance (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2010