What am I to do? My husband doesn't support my NIP

He says I shouldn't do it anymore. Last week at synagouge I was about to and he said "not here". I was like WTH? Then he says go to the bathroom. I give him the ole do you eat in the bathroom line; no answer. So I ignored him and start to feed and he repeats it "not here". Not wanting to agrue, I went into the hallway. I thought that was a one time incident. He gets funny about what we can and cannot do at synagouge anyways so I let it go.

Then yesterday as we are pulling into the parking lot at walmart, I grab my nursing cover as we are unloading and he tells me to stay in the car and if I was planning on feeding her. So now I call him out on it. "Why all of a sudden you don't want me to NIP?" This is our 2nd baby I NIP and it never was a problem until now. He says he doesn't feel comfortable w/me doing it anymore. I think someone has said something to him, but he won't admit it when I ask. Sad, this world.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've nursed 3 kids, in public and at home, and my DH is still a little weird about it. It's different for guys because they see boobs as sexual, not as nourishment for our babies! I'd sit down with him and tell him that he has ONE chance to tell you what's going on, and for you two to have a real adult conversation about it. If he chooses to not tell you, you're going to keep doing what you're doing. As for the Synagoge (or however you spell it....sorry!), I'd just ask your Rabbi or someone else who works there if it would be appropriate for you to nurse.
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• He needs to grow up! Its natural for you to feed your child and I dont know whats wrong with people today to think its a bad thing to NIP!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:00 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Just keep on doing it. Your baby needs to eat. Why should you go have to hide to nurse? That's ridiculous! Tell him to get over it!!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:59 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I never gave anyone the choice. I will nurse my babies when and where they need to eat and everyone else can be damned. My baby comes first, even over my husband. Imri's need to eat trums Max's desire for me to feed him privately, and I'm not sorry about it.

He'll get over it.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My ex HATED that fact that I NIP. He even went as far as to take the baby away from me (yet another reason he is my EX husband)... Bottom line, you do what you have to for the baby.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you guys get into counseling though, because this signifies a bigger problem, and it would be better to nip it in the bud now, than to let it blossom into some sickly flower.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:09 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Don't listen to him, you do whatever you have to do to feed your baby! there is nothing wrong with NIP.
    Miss.KelliAdams

Answer by Miss.KelliAdams at 11:10 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• my husband was the same way... I don't really get why but he's a very private person and thinks that should be private too - and worried what others thought - I think men are just uneducated or look at it differently.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:14 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I'd tell him to shut the hell up about it if he brought it up again. I'd explain to him that I don't care what others think & that I'll feed my baby when & where it needs to be fed.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• You can't fault someone for simply feeling uncomfortable. He feels uncomfortable, it is what it is. You guys should prob. sit down and have a calm discussion about why he's feeling this way and get to the bottom of it. Maybe there is something that would make him feel differently if you knew where he was coming from. You could set up a session with a BF nurse to help him understand how important BF is to your child. Afterall, it was men who made the breast a sexual body part, so they will probably be the first one's to feel insecure when their wives are exposed in public.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Wow... you need to feed your child when your child is hungry. Your darling husband needs to get over it.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:31 AM on Aug. 23, 2010