Is this prejudice?

A friend was telling me that her son was in a publically funded Pre-K3 last year. My child is now 3, so I began asking how I could get my child enrolled in my area. She told me that the child had to NOT speak English, had to be on welfare, and had to be the child of an illegal immigrant. I was shocked. My friend fit none of the criteria, but she had a friend on the board who was able to bend some of the rules.

So, in a nutshell, because I work, I pay my taxes, I speak English as a 1st language, and I am a legal citizen, I cannot send my child to a publically funded school? Serious? I'm not a pot-stirrer, but this really urked me to the bone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That is how our PreKs are here too. It pisses me off to no end. I got my daughter in head start though. I don't think they should do income based public school at all, it is discrimination.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:17 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• OP--In your case it wasn't prejudice...it was preferential treatment. Both of which are wrong. Your friend's kid took a space away from a child who REALLY needed the help...all so she could save a few bucks. Real. Nice.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:16 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• If my tax dollars are paying for a school, it should be equal opportunity. I don't believe in preferential treatment (unless a child has developmental delays). First-come-first-serve, just like real life.  So would that mean that a taxpayer pays for the child to go to a program while the parent sits at home on Govt. Assist?  Free babysitter for them while taxpayer also has to foot the bill for their own child to go to daycare.  Man, that's crazy.  JMO.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:34 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Had to be the child of an ILLEGAL immigrant? Yeah, that's prejudice.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:42 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• What program is THAT?? I've never heard of a preK for immigrants only!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:02 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• sorry i think someone got thier info wrong a bit htere. if they are talking about early headstart. yes, there are only so many openings for each type of situation for a child. IE special needs, language needs, economic issues, etc. and good old taxpaying citizens. if youare wanting to get your child in and your child has no specail circunstances then i would see if your child could go as a peer . our school had a % of the kids as peer group kids who were not disatvantaged in any of the various ways. they were there to help the other kids balance and have friends in all areas before going to kinder.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:06 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I'd like to see a link substantiatingthe "illegal immigrant" criteria. I think we're all aware that programs exist for kids/families that meet certain criterion-just never heard of legal status being1. How many people illegal would sign up for a group that was targeting illegals? La Migra?.....

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:42 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• kenzie07 - That is the school district we live in:) Thanks for finding that, I knew there was more criteria, but couldn't remember.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 12:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• They have to have English as a second language and/or make under a certain amount of money.

There are places around me that have "scholarships" for poor families, so a place may have 5 places for kids on these scholarships. and the rest would pay a certain amount. The reason they make spots available is because it is THOSE kids that will NEED it most...when the parents cannot afford it they fall behind

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:08 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I know Headstart is just for kids whose parent(s) make under a certain amount,but for immigrants kids only? That's news to me!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 23, 2010