How would you like a 9 day traffic jam?

BEIJING (AFP) – Thousands of vehicles were bogged down Monday in a more than 100-kilometre (62-mile) traffic jam leading to Beijing that has lasted nine days and highlights China's growing road congestion woes.

The Beijing-Tibet expressway slowed to a crawl on August 14 due to a spike in traffic by cargo-bearing heavy trucks heading to the capital, and compounded by road maintenance work that began five days later, the Global Times said.

The state-run newspaper said the jam between Beijing and Jining city had given birth to a mini-economy with local merchants capitalising on the stranded drivers' predicament by selling them water and food at inflated prices.

That stretch of highway linking Beijing with the northern province of Hebei and the Inner Mongolia region has become increasingly prone to massive jams as the capital of more than 20 million people sucks in huge shipments of goods.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:02 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I nearly went insane in a 20min one. :)
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• man, i thought the one out on 78 was bad.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:06 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Yeah, I would have left my car there & walked home. There's no where I need to go that badly!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• And I complain about the traffic in Los Angeles. At last we have many, many options (especially north and south) in the land of concrete :0

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:34 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• That sounds like a nightmare, lol! No thanks! I'd abandon my car and just start running. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:07 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't like it. I would probably need a better excuse for my employer, b/c that's just unbelievable ;-)
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

***
    Which my husband gets stuck in BOTH ways daily!!! UGH! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:11 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I like my town. Only one major road and more than one way to get places and a population of 65,000!! I hate being stuck in traffic.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:16 AM on Aug. 23, 2010