Ugh, My ten year old won't stop helping herself to huge glasses of juice and milk

and then not finishing them, and then leaving the half full glasses in odd places, so they either spill or rot. ( I just found a row of glasses behind her curtain on her window sill)

I'm thinking of charging her 25 cents per glass for the waste. What do you think?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:22 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I hate it when my kids do that!! My rule is that they have to finish whatever they get, or they get water for the rest of the day. I also make them ask before they get something. I buy the kids soda, and if I find a half-finished one, I leave it off the list the next time I do grocery shopping.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Sounds good, food is expensive! Plus that's gross!
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 11:24 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Lock the fridge?? Give her one glass and only one glass. I don't know about the charge. Where does she get the money??
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:24 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• That's not a bad idea if that's enough to make her think twice...also, what if you only gave her access to smaller glasses?
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 11:25 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• tell her she needs to ask before getting a glass seems how she cant finish what she takes!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:27 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I make my children ask, first and fix them a small glass.
    dawnmarie70535

Answer by dawnmarie70535 at 11:31 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• NONE of my children are allowed in the fridge without permission. Period.

I think that's a great idea though- but more like 50 cents... you certainly won't be doing again if it costs her dearly.

We have a "no" jar... any time my children say "No" or disobey, they have to toss anywhere from 10-50 cents in it. Now, "no" is not a word I hear very frequently!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:31 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I think I would wipe out anything monetary, chores or not she's being very disrespectful. Don't allow food/drink in her room, and make her keep whatever she has in the kitchen, and no where else. I would make her wash all of the glasses by hand, and all of the dishes every night for 2 weeks... We knock out bad behavior, laziness, etc with chores.. It works for us.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:32 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Um... how large is your home that it has so many places a glass of milk can be stored without you noticing for days?

I'd say, offhand, that it's time to stop buying milk and juice for a while. 'Too much waste' would be my answer to why its no longer available.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:33 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't bribe her... I agree with Linda on this one, don't buy it. Or even better buy powdered milk for cereal (it tastes really gross), she won't want to drink it.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:37 AM on Aug. 23, 2010