Question about my 21 month old eating

This has been going on for about 4 days now. But we'll try and feed her food she's eaten for a while now (ie. spagetti, mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, beefaroni) She just wont eat any of it! She'll eat oatmeal just fine..... if its not original oatmeal. and she'll eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I have no idea what to do to get her to eat other things.

KrazyKutie

Asked by KrazyKutie at 11:27 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nothing.

Offer a variety of foods that you believe are healthy and leave her alone to eat them or not as she chooses.

Her appetite is probably just lower than you're used to it, or she's getting sick and eating is making her feel worse. Trust her to know for her own body how much she needs to eat, and just make sure that the only things she has to choose from are 'acceptable' even in large quantities. If she only needs 290 calories today, best it be from healthy foods instead of a chocolate bar and some candy, yes?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:30 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• What about healthy food? People often don't offer their kids healthy foods and foods the mom or dad doesn't like. Try taking her to a buffet and get her some colorful foods she doesn't get at home. I have a 23 mo grandson and I take him to buffets several times a week. At one place he eats a big bowl of steamed carrots and it comes with 2 big brocolli stems. He usually eats at least one of them. He'll eat a plain tomato slice (I would have never thought of giving him that). I give him things from my plate too. If he points to something I get that. He usually wants the ice cream before he is done eating but will eat it with his veggies or other food. I took him out to brunch Sun and he was eating ice cream and bacon. If other family members go too then he gets even more variety. I take pictures of him eating with my phone, he likes that.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:37 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Snack foods can be healthy and meals can be unhealthy. Toddlers need to graze (snack) on healty foods all day. Chicken nuggets is not a healty meal food. Roast chicken meat would be. You could roast a chicken and make toddler size portions and freeze. White pasta in the spagetti, mac and cheese, or beefaroni isn't healthy. You could use whole wheat, whole grain, or one of the healthier pastas to make it healthier. Peanut butter and jelly isn't healthy. Whole grain bread, natural peanut butter, and jelly with no sugar would help but it's still not healthy. If you are used to making healthy meals it's easiest to stick to plain foods; veggies, fruits, plain meat, whole grain bread and cereal (no pasta or white anything), whole grain crackers, brown rice, cheese, yogurt. There are websites and books to help guide selections. Good eating habits start young.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:47 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• dont let her snack as much and dont give in to other foods. maybe she wants a change from the usual.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:29 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• my 17 month is doing the same thing my daughter never really did this he always says food and ill make him something I KNOW he likes he will not eat it he is eating nothing but milk and yougurt urghhhh.... So your not alone LOL I think its just a phase I hope my doc always said they will eat when they are hungry!
    anfisasmommy

Answer by anfisasmommy at 11:32 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Ok thanks ladies. If I do give her snacks its like fruit or graham crackers. But I'm not going to be giving her anything considered snack foods until she can eat her regular meals. :] Appreciate the advice
    KrazyKutie

Comment by KrazyKutie (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My daughter eats a ton when she is growing and not so much when she isn't. Listen to her, let her decide when she is hungry so that she will have healthy patterns in the future. Offer healthy foods, veggies, fruits, chicken....
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:34 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Just keep offering the usual and work in new foods as you can. Kids go through funny phases, and this is one of them. One tip that I've learned is to offer the less-tasty foods first (like broccoli and peas), and then fill her plate with the other foods. Good luck!
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 11:36 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Do you give her just some veggies or meat? No pasta, cheese, nuggets...stuff like that?

Like Tilapia, boiled chicken, turkey breast? Or carrots, avocado, sweet potato, spinach?

Maybe try a variety of healthy foods and let her pick up chunks and feed herself.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:07 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Its because she is almost 2 and 2 year olds wont eat lol... I would just try to start giving more snacks throughout the day and then try sitting her down for one meal like dinner or breakfast and making it a bigger meal
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 23, 2010