Bleaching hair?

Last week I attempted to bleach my hair. I normally have dark brown hair with quite a bit of gray. I had some dark brown color in my hair that I tried to hide the gray with. Anyway, last week I bleached it for 1 hr and it was a reddish color. I'm bleaching again right now and it's been 30 min but its still a reddish color. Will it ever go blonde?

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 11:36 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Are you using bleach on your head? Or hair dye? I would recommned only using hair dye....... bleach is a harsh chemical and not good for your hair or skin to be in contact with......
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:39 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It's a hydrogen peroxide bleach I got from Sally's beauty supply.
    kristinas8

Comment by kristinas8 (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i'd recommend you see a professional colorist.its one thing to color your hair to cover grays..but quite another ballgame to bleach out 'color' to achieve a much lighter tone. the first time you bleached, you didn't leave it on long enough and/or the formula was too weak for your desired outcome. that being said, sometimes it takes more than one application to break through haircolor..and sometimes, the natural shade takes a few 'bleaches', as well. you should be using a reconstructuring/protein-conditioner inbetween these applications, as even though the bleach isn't lifting to your desired shade, it is still damaging the hair.
    you may have not applied it correctly, also. there are a number of factors that go into coloring/bleaching the hair. that is why it's necessary to seek out pros who do this daily. believe me, it is worth the money to get the job done correctly, and timely.
    also, don't trust the girls at sallys.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I would recommned only using hair dye..--

haircolor will not lift haircolor.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Well, I left it on an hour and my roots are beautiful blonde, but the ends and back are still a reddish blonde.
    kristinas8

Comment by kristinas8 (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• You need to tone the red
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• How do I tone the red?
    kristinas8

Comment by kristinas8 (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• everything dullscissors said was completely accurate..

what volume did you use with the decolorizer?

oh and the reason your roots are blond is because they decolorize faster (they aren't having to cut through layers of hair color, and they are still going through keratinization. (sp?). ).

At this point I would seek a colorist specialist because you are going to need color correction..
    They are going to have to try to pull the rest of the color out, and tone it properly. And I can't tell you how to tone the red, because I don't know if it's red red, orange red, or orange yellow.. (big differences). Not only that but you'll have to address your roots seperately than the rest of your hair because if you tone your whole head your roots will end up with a green or ashy tone while the rest of the hair is closer to the desired color..

seek a salon and have them fix it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:31 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• (trust us, we are stylists and know what we are talking about)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• will i had dark brown hair to and i went to the salon and had them do it frist. and every scince i have been doing it my selfand it looks ok. if your hair does not turn out the way you want it look then you need to go to a salon. i hope this has helped you out.
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 8:01 AM on Aug. 24, 2010