Viet Nam War Vets Question? (not sure where to catagorize this?) Sorry

Does your S/O talk abt the war? My S/O does not very often, some times if he's a little tipsey, but mostly to family. He feels people donm't really care, he had tomatoes and other and things thrown at him when he came home in Ca. and he took it very personal I guess. He has just lately even acknowledged he was in Viet Nam, since the last 2 wars, and I feel bad for him he won a Purple Heart and should be proud of himslef. I know Iam.

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• So glad at least now Americans against the war know to seperate that from the troops. They should always have our support no matter the political agenda of government. Please thank him for his service from this American.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:20 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My FIL just recently started talking about it too when my husband came home from Afghanistan, he is finally getting some counseling for it. It is sad that people would treat soldiers that way.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:49 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My hubby is a current Marine and has been 3 times to Iraq during this war, and he never talks about it. I think its just how it is for some of them, they see and do terrible things and lose friends and comrades and it's not something the talk about. They might talk about with others that do the same thing but I'm not sure.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 11:49 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Yeah, I agree with "matthewscandi"...The Vietnam war era vets were conditioned to not talk about it and most of it was classified.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:59 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I don't personally think there were conditioned to not talk about the war, my dad was in vietnam and he said pretty much that is was very horrible what he saw and endured.. that talking about it would be like reliving it! He til this day has night terrors, these men saw very very ugly horrible things.. i wouldn't want to dicuess all the horror that happened.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My dad says very little about Vietnam. I know he worked on the vehicles as a mechanic & he was classified as a sharp shooter. Other than that I don't hear much about that war. I am proud that my dad was in the service and consider him a hero. Unfortunately I feel like the media portrayed the Vietnam Vets in an unsavory light that influenced the American people. I am proud of our soldiers young and old.
    TheNeverLady

Answer by TheNeverLady at 5:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My husband is going to counseling and he talks to me. They are conditioned that everything is "confidential/classified" so, they can't tell anyone.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:50 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My dad is a Vietnam vet. He rarely talks about it. He will mention flying there or flying back home, but he doesn't talk about actually being there very much. He has a bronze star, but I only know that because I found the star; he never mentioned it.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My dad rarely talks about it. When he does it's with my brothers (in the Army), his brother, or his best buddy (Marine Vet). He doesn't want to put those kinds of stories in his family's head. He doesn't want to relive most of them. He wants to spare everyone from that type of imagry. He still has nightmeres and dreams about them and he's 64 years old now. He only talks about them to the before mentioned, because he knows they understand. He knows what they've been through relates to what he's been through. They also can use abbriviations, technical terms, and the-like that us "commoners" wouldn't understand. I would love to hear more stories, but I would never pressure my dad into telling me about those times. It doesn't matter what war you've been through, that experience is one that you don't want to relive. And the Viet Nam Vets coming home was horrid, so a lot of them push it inside and move on.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I didn't mean I wanted to hear about the gory details.He was what the called a grunt, so I know being on the front line and wounded he did see a lot of bad things. My husband wouldn't even tell you he was a Marine IN Viet Nam. At a function one night w/people we didn't know he would not stand up and be reccognized as a Viet Nam Vet. I have said to him, it's the Govmnt, they shd have been mad at not the soldiers, they did what their Commander in Chief told them to do, theirJOB. He still cries in his sleep now & then, and tells me a few things, or did in my letters, I just want himTO BE PROUD OF HIMSELF for what he did as a brave Marine risking his life for our Freedom.
    MyAngel003

Comment by MyAngel003 (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2010