Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Why don't they have schools for Disabled Adults.

My son is 27 and there is no place that will take severe Disable Adults in this area.

Answer Question

Asked by NanaRegina at 11:46 AM on Aug. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 2 (11 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • Why should it be a school?

    Where I live, there are day programs for handicapped (mentally and physically) to get out of the house, give the caregivers a break and to allow them to work or play in a supportive environment.

    Answer by LindaClement at 11:49 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • i dont know to be honest. i never thought about it

    Answer by sati769leigh at 11:49 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • There are services in most areas. You may have to travel or move. I know moving sounds extreme but I moved several times to be close to services for my children. What does Voc Rehab say?


    Answer by Gailll at 11:50 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • There is a school where I grew up. It is called "The Children's Center" although it also caters to older individuals as well. Whether Down's Syndrome, Muscular Dystrophy, you name it. And they have life classes that help teach the adults to function in society, buying groceries, getting dressed.etc. Plus they have jobs for them too. Like assembly work and they get paid for it.

    Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:56 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • My Daughter Tania and Me have look for Schools all over from livingston to Houstion, He so Severethey won't take him. That is why me and her is trying to open one our self, in this area for the kids getting out ofscholl so they don't have to go to homes.

    Comment by NanaRegina (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • There is a center in my area called Pacesetters. It specializes in working with severely Disabled Adults. It is not really a school, but they work with them on finding things they can do, and helping them to get better at things they can do.
    I have a cousin who is severely mentally handicapped, she is 37 and has the mentality of about a 5 year old. She goes there 5 days a week, and she even earns a check for doing small things while she is there. Since she started there, they have taught her some of the things her Mom had been trying to work with her on, like loading the dishwasher & folding laundry!

    Answer by mommy11260 at 12:07 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • mommy11260, where is this place, Please answer back. brandon is my son, where is this place.

    Comment by NanaRegina (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • It is in Nashville, Arkansas.


    Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:36 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • In Massachusetts, the public schools service individuals until their 23rd b'day. Literally. After that, a state agency takes over as the lead; here, it was the DMR, now it's the Department for Developmental Delays (or something close to it.) Typically by age 27, the individual would have had job/life skill training through the school system and the state agency continues to fund the programming/supervision, etc. The state agency will usually connect you to a place like "mommy11260" describes. However, there's a process and paperwork that would need to be completed to even get a case worker. Try to Google "special needs programs for adults" in you area; if that doesn't work, contact a local high school and ask for the Special Ed coordinator. They may be able to point you in the right direction. There aren't nearly enough resources out there, but you may stumble onto something. Good luck to you and your son!

    Answer by jonosmama at 10:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • jonosmama, Thanks we talked to Rick Perry and he told us that he didn't know of any Recorces in Tx, Thats sad isn't it.

    Comment by NanaRegina (original poster) at 6:28 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.