How do I get my 2yr old to eat?

My 2yr old weighs 21 lbs and her doctor says she is underweight to put weight on her! I give her 2-3 different foods a meal just trying to get her to eat but she always acts like she isnt hungry! She eats all day what most kids her age eats in one meal! She doesnt like milk and I have tried protein shakes and bars and just about everytrhing the doc suggested and she wont eat or drink them! Im not worried about her weight because I am a small person myself weighing 95 lbs at 5'1". My biggest concern is why she isnt eating and if something could be wrong!

lexikimber

Asked by lexikimber at 12:03 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• First of all, she could just be tiny like you are. However, 21 lbs at 2 is too small. Have you tried the chocolate pediasure? My kids love that stuff...or Carnation instant breakfast. Those are both highly recommended. I'd also keep some sort of food out at all times so that when she IS hungry, she can go snack. And take note of the times she's going to grab food, and adjust her meal times to that. Good luck!
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 12:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Make a set schedule of when she can eat. No snacking unless its snack time and see how that goes. If she still isnt eating good eliminate snack time. Have you tried pedisure? She may like the different flavors and the benefits would be good for you dd.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• See if you can talk to the dietary department at your clinic and see if they can help you out with high calorie foods if your doctor is super concerned. I have some small children in my daycare that are that age and weight. Their mom is a small boned adult and not tall, the children just might be that way genetically. They will eat when they are hungry and may not be growing as much right now. When she goes through a growing spurt you will see a change in her sleeping and eatting habits. I say pick your battles, feed her when she is hungry and take advantage of when she wants to eat. Good Luck!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:07 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• kids go through phases with thier eating. she might only peck right now but in a growth spurt she wil eat a TON more. i would say do whatyou are doing without over stressing yuourself. offer her snacks throughout the dday rather than any huge meals. she will guide you in how much she needs to eat right now.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• You don't.

Offer healthy foods regularly, and let her decide how much and when she chooses to eat it.

This is the phase where kids appetites shrink and parents make picky eaters --by dancing around like panicked lunatics trying to get a not-very-hungry kid to eat ANYTHING... at precisely the instant in their lives when the kids can easily wait for 'the good stuff' because they're genuinely not hungry.

So, it's up to you: offer healthy foods regularly or let your kid eat her 320 calories a day in pure junk.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:19 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I have a 3 year old and my SO has a 2 year old and I dont know what it is about 2 but they seriously just stop eating it seems like!!!! My 1 year old is eating alot right now she eats more than the two of them. The lady that we went to told us that they should have more snacks throughout the day and the 1 year old was fine with the meals...
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 1:37 PM on Aug. 23, 2010