Is tums ok for heartburn?

I really try not to take any kind of medication for anything even if my doctor says i can because im so paranoid about my baby being healthy and some days my heartburn is too much to handle and wondering if i can take tums to make it a little more bearable.

slivangood0927

Asked by slivangood0927 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yep I carried a bottle in my purse bc I got BAD heartburn and my Dr said it was ok.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 12:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Safe. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Yup, it is safe.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 12:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It's safe, and it adds calcium to your diet as a bonus.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 12:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Tums are safe! I carried around one of the jumbo bottles in my pocketbook when I was pregnant! Lol, I literally had heartburn all the time! One good thing about Tums too, is that they contain Calcium! My OB-GYN actually recommended that I take them everyday simply for the calcium!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Only if you want it back in a minute.

The problem with tums is that it does nothing but neutralizes the stomach acid... and stomachs aren't dumb enough to think that no acid will work, so they make more... usually lots and lots more. The rebound effect can be pretty bad.

Better ideas for dealing with heartburn: more acidic foods and less fat, in general... fat being what most people make more acid to deal with; chewing foods longer, avoiding carbonated drinks completely, lowering caffeine intake, drinking and eating smaller amounts in a sitting (stomachs compete for space with baby, so they hold less comfortably and need to be fed more often) and avoiding beverages before lying down. Ginger tea can help, as can natural honey which is nice because they make a nice combination... in small doses throughout the day. Fennel --both as tea and just chewing the seeds-- can help.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Ask at the pharmacy. They have a list of drugs that it's ok for pregnant women to take.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Tums is calcium carbonate and is actually good for you because it gives you calcium. Not taking meds is not always the best thing to do. You need to be healthy. Acid can cause damage all the way up to the back of your throat. You could choke on it and get pneumonia or worse.

Once you have the baby of course you will want to breastfeed since you are concerned about the baby's health. It is recommended all babies be breastfed at least 2 years. You can take almost all medications while breastfeeding. The risk of any tiny amout of drug in the milk is smaller than the risk of formula. Formula causes illness and death (UNICEF) and has lifelong health implications. 1.3 million babies a year die because they aren't breastfed (UNICEF).

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• tums are good for calcium and heartburn! Why do you ladies not talk to your doctors?
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:37 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Tums are fine. Chewing mint gum or sucking a mint after meals actually helps to!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:40 PM on Aug. 23, 2010