Putting pictures on fabric to make a quilt?

I'm wanting to make my daughter a quilt for Christmas and put pictures on it...like how they do on cakes with pictures...My mom, her Nanny passed away 2 years ago and she talks about her Nanny all the time and I wanted to use pictures of her and my mom and then some of me and my daughter on there but I have no idea where I could get that done?
I got the idea from watching the movie Step Mom with Julia Roberts and the mom makes the kids a quilt each of pictures of her and them bc she's got cancer and is about to die so I thought that was really sweet and I know my daughter would like something like that.
Anybody have any idea where I could get something like that done? I just want the picture put onthe fabric and then I can sew it myself.

misspriss_1987

Asked by misspriss_1987 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• There are a bunch of products out there. There is the type that you iron on like for t-shirts. You have to put a lot of pressure on them, but they do work. They might show some wear and tear if you wash it a bunch.

The other type is a treated fabric that you print onto directly. You can either use a copier or a printer. The ink gets into the fabric and they are a little more durable. One brand that I have used is Printed Treasures.

Take a look at JoAnne's or call a local quilt or fabric shop.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• you can go to michaels (or any other craft store) and they have a special paper you put in your printer and print out whatever you want on it. then it's an iron-on transfer, so you just iron it onto whatever fabric you have and that's that. it works great.... i used it to make a tote bag.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Thank you so much! I just looked up Printed Treasures and that's exactly what I need!
    misspriss_1987

Comment by misspriss_1987 (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010