Switching from pacifier to thumb?

Has anyone ever seen a toddler who is a loyal pacifier user start to suck his thumb after he turns 1? I am not sure what to make of this or whether there is something I should do to discourage thumbsucking or encourage the switch.

He will use the pacifier when it's available. But sometimes when he's playing, I see him sucking his thumb.

barefootbooks

Asked by barefootbooks at 12:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have t thought on the matter- having two thumb sucking kids.
    1) You can't throw a thumb away so it's hard to break
    2)A thumb is much easier access when they need to self soothe

WIth my kids they never took a pacifier but starting at about 10 months the thumb was only allowed in their mouth in bed or in the car. Once they hit 2 it was only for sleeping. I would simply pop the thumb out and say ' your not sleeping!' and give them a toy to hold .
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:36 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• my daughter is thumb sucker and has been since 4mos. I never heard of this at this age. I wish she sucked a pacifier so I could take it away...LOL
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My DD stopped using the paci at 3 months, but around 7 months or so she started sucking on her shirts! She is now 24 months and has been doing it ever since. Don't know how to get her to stop. Anyone else have this problem with their kids?
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Mine went straight to his thumb, hardly ever used a pacifier, mostly because I didn't like to leave one with his sitter. I wish now I had pushed the paci instead, cause it's not easy breaking the thumbsucking habit, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I took my daughter paci away at 2, she started sucking on her finger and at 5.5 she still does suck on her finger.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2010